Truck Audio System

I’ve got a 2006 Chevy regular cab. I want to put a sound system in it. Nothing too elaborate, just a 10 inch subwoofer and an amp. Any good suggestions on brands?

ALPINE,reliable,and quality sound.(just make sure its the high line) ,and not the middle of the road variant.look for THD. stats. the lower the better.same with AMPS,look at PEAK,and RMS values. this tells a true AMP.look at the RMS value in the spec sheet.the higher the better.PEAK is a scam.(only because thats the max the amp can do for short bursts only.)and will kill speakers along with high THD levels.THD is total harmonic distortion.

just a thought. GODSMACK FAN.

Consult www.crutchfield.com. They will have something to suit your needs. I’ve dealt with them many times over the years and I’ve never been disappointed.

ALPINE,reliable,and quality sound.(just make sure its the high line) ,and not the middle of the road variant.look for THD. stats. the lower the better.same with AMPS,look at PEAK,and RMS values. this tells a true AMP.look at the RMS value in the spec sheet.the higher the better.PEAK is a scam.(only because thats the max the amp can do for short bursts only.)and will kill speakers along with high THD levels.THD is total harmonic distortion.

Stereo lesson 101…

THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) is one of those things that is very very misleading. Not all manufacturers calculate it the same. The GOOD companies will post a number of the HIGHEST THD measured. Others post the THD they found within a certain range of frequencies and output amps.

Watts (peak or RMS) really tell you NOTHING about the quality of an amp. I can show you some of the BEST amps in the world as far as sound quality goes that only put out 12 watts. How much wattage a speaker can handle is probably the most WORTHLESS spec available…yet it’s by far the MOST popular. It really tells you NOTHING about the speaker.

Car audio is really very different then home audio…especially the way it’s applied today. The very high end home systems are trying to achieve sound quality…while the very high-end car audio are trying to achieve high sound volume…Not necessarily high sound quality. In fact when played at the levels people play them in a small enclosed room (like a car) with extremely poor acoustics…sound quality is almost non-existent.

As for what brands…I wouldn’t be so much set on ONE brand. Alpine makes very very good electronics…but their speakers are far from stellar.

First try to find the speakers you like that will work in the truck. Then try to match the electronics to the speakers. Before you buy…try to listen to the speakers at the volume you think you’ll be listening to them in your truck. Many of the car audio places have such a room setup. Then try to find the amp(s) that match. And then the front-end to the amps (tuner, cd, dvd, blue-ray…what-ever).

I had a pickup with the most complete set of mismatched junk equipment and it sounded really good for a few years. Yours will sound better.