Trouble Starting My Car

On some occasions when I attempt to start my car it will turn over but not start on the first try. On other occasion it will continuously try to start without completely turning on. This happens on an infrequent basis and if I turn the key off and attempt to start the car again it usually turns on without a problem. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, and it is a 2006 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro AWD

And how many miles on it? Does there appear to be any connections to weather.

When it does not start, does anything happen when you turn the key? No noise dimming of the lights etc. ?

it has 58,000 miles on it. it does not appear to be connected to the weather conditions. when it does not start it either turns over for a second and then just shuts off completely or it tries to continously start itself without fully starting (engine is trying to start but won’t fully). when that happens i turn the key off and wait a second and then turn it on fine with no problems. there is no dimming and this happens very rarely.

It could be a bad check valve to hold the fuel pressure. Try this old trick. Turn the key to the ON position, where the lights on the dash light up, but don’t start the car. Leave it like this for a few seconds to run the fuel pump, pressurizing the fuel system. Then turn the key off for a few seconds to reset the fuel pump delay. Then try to start the car normally.

it usually starts just fine when i turn the key over without trying to start the car and waiting for a few seconds and then start it. is this something i should get fixed right away?

If it’s a bad check valve then there is little risk that the car will stall after you get it started. If it is a weak fuel pump, it could potentially stall while you are driving, which might be dangerous.