Trivia

@bscar2
You completely avoid the real question I asked. How many mass shootings have been with full auto matic since the federal regs for full autos have been enforced ? . You keep using Chicago and NY examples as if crime with guns can’t be started by buying a gun one block away from the town line. So, you need federal laws and you guys keep talking in circles around that one fact…just to keep the ball rolling and the guns in the hands of criminals.

If you take the gun out of gun violence, you still have violence?
Happy to make that trade !!!
A slap on the side of the head may be slightly more recoverable then 17 rounds of 9mm.

Dag, what would you have the guns laws say, assuming a federal law was passed?

Universal background checks, as stated by others, and myself, will only work if registration is done on all firearms. Something no politician wants to talk about, because they know what would happen if they did.
They’ve refused to put mentally ill people on the CURRENT background check system, despite numerous attempts to do so. Only now have they reconsidered it. And when do criminals actually try to buy a gun from an actual store? They either steal one and use it or they buy it from someone that wouldn’t run a check on them even if they were required to; probably because they stole it before they sold it.

I am mext waiting for you to tell me how many times you were assaulted by a mass of gun toasting minorities in a home invasion

None, as of yet, but a few years ago, my city earned the nickname of “Little Detroit”. With people breaking into cars and houses all around me, I want to be prepared to defend myself. Even my mom, who has been against owning a firearm for home defense for a long time now, is now considering getting one.

One person was brave enough to start a campaign, recently, where he put signs around town that said “Heroin is our economy” because of the rampant drug abuse going on around here.
While I haven’t personally seen it, I’ve heard enough people tell me that 2 guys would stand on the street, one would wear a white shirt and the other would wear a black shirt. This is how you knew which one had heroin and which one had crack/cocaine when you needed your fix.
While our drug officers have cracked down a lot lately, my guess is is that they finally took notice when the signs made TV news. A few weeks ago a man from Detroit was arrested for drug trafficking and another was arrested 3 days ago from New Jersey with roughly 10~15k worth of heroin. A day later the house near where he was pulled over was raided for drugs as well. The thing that tipped them off? A yellow cab(we don’t have that color for our cabs) was up here from Columbus, and the caller knew something was up because who hires a cab to drive them 30+ miles one way(50 miles if he came straight from the airport)?

and you still fail to make a comment on that success.

I won’t deny that, but with the scarcity of ammo these days, who would want a gun that can empty a standard capacity magazine in 3 seconds? Would you consider that, if the limits weren’t in place, full auto firearms might be more prevalent in crimes? Especially in drive-by scenarios.
Glock does actually make a full auto pistol, the model 18, which is why there is a 33 round magazine available for 9mm Glocks

Bscar, I remain unconvinced that registration would be becessary to have an effective background check syste,. Just as we successfully require purchasers of alcohol to be of legal drinking age without registering the bottles to the buyers, we could also require background checks for firearms purchases without registering the guns to the buyers. No system will be 100%. Just as kids can get alcohol if they’re determined to and unconcerned about the law, people will get firearms if they’re determined to and don’t care about the law. If registration were required, only the law abiding would register. And the law abiding are not the ones we need to prevent from having guns.

No law will get guns out of the hands of criminals. And we should pass no law that takes guns out of the hands of the law-abiding. We’d be depriving the wrong people of gun ownership.

If you support these weapons being easily available to anyone without a license to own one, then you support their possible use with the Conn. massacre cababilies of firing 154 round in less then 5 minutes to execute school children.

Talk about talking circles. If people keep going back to Sandy Hook and the children, that might be why more and more people are starting to slide away from gun control laws. Saying “think of the children” over and over might be making them look as stupid as we are for saying “from my cold dead hands”

I haven’t seen the commercials personally, but someone at work told me about the Bloomberg ads airing on TV here in Ohio going after Sen. Portman for voting to uphold the 2nd amendment when they voted on the UN arms treaty. The one commercial I seen on youtube showed the guy having a blatant disregard for safety when he was holding his rifle. Anyone who knows anything about safety knows you hold your finger outside the trigger guard, not inside it. Hell, Feinstein even fails that measure when she’s shown in a picture holding an AK47. She’s clearly pointing it towards some people with her finger in the trigger guard.

She’s clearly not knowledgable or comfortable when it comes to weapons. So we’ve got someone legislating something that she basically knows nothing about. Ah, Washington!

I seem to recall seeing Joe Biden on TV saying he’d told his wife to just " get a shotgun, brandish it, and empty the barrels into the air…" Now there’s a bit of good advice…to tell someone untrained and not knowledgable of weapons to fire both barrels of a shotgun into the air. That visiion should keep me laughing for the rest of the afternoon.

I also read later that in his home state that would be illegal.

When I was younger I used to think that legislation was made by intelligent people. Apparently either I was wrong or those people have disappeared from the legislative landscape.

The “finger on the trigger” in that picture and another has become a tiring talking point for right wing radio and television. My local Konservative radio station’s daytime personality went to great lengths describing in great detail how some Democrat was not holding a shotgun “properly.” But really WHO CARES how these people hold their props for the photos?

I do only because it indicates that we have people making speeches about and writing legislation to control guns who know nothing about guns. Granted, she’s only using a disabled weapon for a prop, but I’d never hold a gun like that for a speech and I doubt if you would either. It’s just natural to lay one’s finger across the trigger guard unless one is intending to shoot.

Hopefully the display of that assault rifle by Ms Feinstein is startling and even gut wrenching to the middle of the road voters who have no interest in guns but have been sitting on the fence with regard to restricting ownership of such weapons to the public. Maybe she could get that weapon loaded with blanks and swing it around, emptying a 30 round magazine in less than a minute to really get some attention.

Better yet. I now recognize that the rifle has a 100+ magazine. That would really get some attention. The flying hulls would really shake up all that were nearby.

TSM:
Biden even said to fire your gun through the door at the person. When someone did, and got arrested for doing it, he used the excuse ‘Biden said it was OK to do that’. And don’t get me started on what kind of damage all those pellets would cause once they started dropping to the ground some distance away.

Here’s another argument about “universal” background checks:

I think the line at the end sums it up: “If they aren’t planning on coming after my guns, then they don’t need to know what guns I have”

Also, does anyone know why New York City police department would NEED a .50 caliber sniper rifle? Barret won’t sell theirs to the NYPD, so they tried to get someone else to sell to them, but they told them they want to abide by the local laws and only sell what private citizens can purchase for themselves. Their rifle is classified as an assault rifle by NY gun laws, so no private citizen is able to purchase it for their own use.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/03/daniel-zimmerman/serbu/?fb_source=pubv1

@bscar2
If you support these weapons being easily available “to anyone” without a license to own one, then you have to accept the possibility of their use in anyway, “by anyone”. You are responsible for that decision
OWN IT !
"Saying “think of the children” over and over might be making them look as stupid as we are for saying "from my cold dead hands"
And to say the impact of the massacre should be forgotten or liken to a line from Charlton Heston because it makes people feel uncomfortable is beyond comparison. Every time people promote the free sale of this weapon, they should be reminded…they need to OWN THAT TOO.

And still, no comment on the success of registering machine guns…for over 90 years !

That Shooting Took Place In A Locked Gun-Free Zone. I’ll Bet The Shooter Did Not Abide By The Laws That Were To Keep Him Away. I’ll Bet A Shooter Might Choose Not To Use A Licensed Weapon When Going Nuts And Murdering Innocent People.

CSA

154 bullets in 5 minutes equals 31 bullets per minute, or about 2 seconds between shots. He had PLENTY of time to take aim and fire in that amount of time.

I’m sure the shooter REALLY thought about the legality of having multiple guns in a gun free zone, or the legality of murdering his mother and stealing her guns.
He tried buying firearms PRIOR to the shooting but was denied due to his age(you need to be 21 to purchase a handgun). The current law STOPPED him from buying a gun.

Assault rifles are as ridiculous as the 22 inch RIMZ that are so popular in the ghettos. AK-47 and M-16 look alikes are over priced and over rated and are much less utilitarian than weapons costing significantly less. But driving a 20 year old Crown Vic with 22 inch RIMZ, even when financed as rent to own, makes the driver feel important. And showing up at the range with an assault rifle just like the latest anti gun poster child(weapon) gives the owner TOP DOG status for a short time even if a credit card was maxed out to buy it he must keep it hidden from his wife. It is all so B-O-G-U-S. For sure, I am much too old to play with Fanner 50s or Sig ??? 5.56 rifles.

If I lived where having an arsenal was needed to protect myself I would move regardless the drop in income.

The Newport shooter left the assault rifle in his car, my 22 lever action that hold 21 rounds is now an assault rifle. Cliche, criminalize guns only criminals have guns. Now I am not a home defender with guns, we have dogs, don’t need no stinking guns, it would take too long to get the ammo remove the gun lock and look like I am going to shoot someone. The dogs keep the bad guys at bay and my possessions I can let go, or let the martial arts training protect me, take they guys out and call 911.

Although I wouldn’t try to rush anyone firing at me with a lever action shooting .22 shorts the weapon falls far short of an assault rifle’s capacity for mayhem. The 22s are a lot of fun at a reasonable cost with much less concern for hurting someone miles away with ricochet. And with the 22s, marksmanship counts more than bravado.

@same
" what would you have gun laws say, assuming a federal law was passed?"

To me, it’s pretty simple. I always buy my guns from a gun dealer. Like a car, I want the backing of a warranty and a gunsmith. When I worked and needed one, I needed the absolute reliability and accountability I can’t get from a private sale. I expected to be registered with the gun as everyone who buys a gun from a dealer is already and law abiding citizens have been doing this for years with no fear. Now, states are not required to turn that registration material over to the Feds, though many do. IMO, it should be mandatory and archived at the federal level from there after the sale is approved just like all information relative to background checks in general.

Every sale after that should be treated the same way, and dealers that have voiced an opinion, say they would support providing a background check and reregistration of the sold firearm platform for all private sales for a nominal fee. If this were done, I don’t feel a need for an assault weapon or high capaity magazines exclusion as they would be registered with an owner too. But, like a machine gun, an extra form stipulating qualifying use should be part of the sale but without needing an ownership license as with a machine gun.

This is minimal and easy stuff with computers and it’s time has come. In general, gun registration never keeps law abides from owning guns. On the contrary, it protects and supports them and is why I keep my CCP current. In the face of any law enforcement officer who knows I have a gun, my CCP immediately establishes I am not a criminal and keeps my firearm from possibly being confiscated. Plus, it is a valid second photo ID with greater support then a driver’s license. Gun registration should provide some security in similar ways a driver’s license doesExcuse me for any grammatical errors…

@bscar
IMHO, you are absolutely right about the problems facing any possible gun registration and universal background checks. But I feel that if in general, we can support a basic idea of identifying as many as possible as legal to own a gun, that over the years as both liberal and consrvative administrations and congress exert their influence, eventually , the final product will be acceptable and do what all of us want…keep the guns out of the hands of the bad guys.

But, with the US having 5% of the worlds population but 25% of the worlds incarceration with70 % in there for related drug offenses…just controlling guns is not enough. But, it’s a start which I feel it’s time has come. Law abiders should have their rights including owning fire arms, inserted over the rights of law breakers. The only way to do that is to distinquish that difference at the time one takes possession of a gun

Since dropping out of the NRA many, many years ago it has seemed that we would do well to restrict who bought and owned any firearms. Those who are considered mentally competent and understand how to safely handle and use them should be free to own bona fide sporting arms. A Remington model 742 and a Mossberg 500 are very dangerous weapons but they are sporting weapons. Ownership should be a right to mentally competent non felons. Colt model 1911s, Glocks, and all center fire hand guns, and all short, easily concealable rifles with interchangeable high capacity (>10) magazines, i.e. assault rifles, should be restricted to licensed and bonded collectors and dealers and liability, civil and criminal, for the harm done with such guns should go back to the last licensed owner. The mere possession of a center fire sidearm or “assault weapon” without a license/CCP should be a felony and all firearms confiscated whose owner cannot lawfully collect it should be destroyed.

Military weapons are for the military and the militia, which is the National Guard.