Transmisson Problem

I have a 1997 ford taurus. I was on the inter state doing 75mph and the car kicked out of overdrive and down to the next gear. It will not shift into over-drive now. I need a ball park figure what it would cost to fix the transmission. Thanks for any help.

It may not be worth fixing. If it requires a rebuild expect to pay around $1500-$2400 depending on if you go with a used transmission or a new one. Depending on the mileage and condition of the car, the cost may be more than the value of the car.

Pessimistic as that may sound, I can’t disagree with FoDaddy’s advice. IF the rest of the car is in great shape, I’d go for a rebuilt transmission. Otherwise write the car off.

I agree with Docnick. The cost of a FORD rebuilt tranny is about $1,400 to $1,600. It will take about 6 to 8 hours of labor to replace. (I just helped my son do one) and the FORD rebuilt tranny comes with a good warranty! Fixing a car is a lot less expensive than buying a new one. Especially when you consider the depreciation that happens when you drive off the lot and also the interest you pay for financing one (unless you pay cash for the car!) So all total … you shoudl expect to pay about $2,500 for the job at a reputible garage.

Before you start ripping the transmission out, check the power connection to the overdrive relay. Don’t forget that overdrive is triggered by the ECU. Lack of overdrive could be caused by a dud relay, a bad brake switch or faulty wiring as well as a transmission failure.