Transmission

I have a 2004 KIA Spectra with an automatic transmission which now has slightly over 100k miles. It has been a very reliable car up until last year when it stopped shifting into third gear. It shifts easily from P to R to N to D, shifting easily to 1st and 2nd, yet when the speed is met to allow changing to 3rd it becomes neutral, slipping only back to second when the speed of the car slows. My question: Is this something electrical or mechanical?

When was the last time the transmission fluid was serviced?

Tester

Haven’t since purchased.

Opp’s I think we have a problem. It is likely too late to save your transmission. Get thee to a shop and have the pan dropped, a new filter installed and fresh fluid. Perhaps, you will see some improvement in the trans performance. If not, I think you are looking at something more serious.

This is not an electrical issue. The transmission is shifting from 1st to 2nd then it tries to shift from 2nd to 3rd but instead of gear you have neutral so the computer IS commanding 3rd gear electronically but mechanically its not there. You need to get it to a transmission shop. Sorry, but it needs to come out and be torn down.

transman