Transmission?

My 2002 Lincoln LS has never had the transmission fluid replaced. (I didn’t know the guys I take it to for oil change, etc. didn’t change it when they changed other fluids as it is under the car).

It feels like it’s not been changing gears at the right speeds (although men I know who have driven it say I’m crazy).

Last week (oh 180,000 miles)I felt it feeling funny in the gas pedal (I’ve never felt anything before). After that the shift stick felt wobbly & made a noise. I took it to the Lincoln dealer immediately & they told me it may be a $1500 seal.They told me to drive to my city.

I got home & took it to my Lincoln place. They drove it. Nothing. They put it on the computer. Nothing.

I was told by the mechanics there to drive it til it did it again so they can put it on the computer to fix.

They also mentioned they thought the front end was going out sometime.

Okay. Obviously I’m a single woman with the IQ of a cat. But I need advice.

1. Do I drive my car til it tears up like they asked me to do?

2. A mechanic friend told me I really really needed to buy a new car. I don’t want to spend that much money. He told me it’d cost me more to keep fixing my car now that it’s getting older than it would be to buy a new one. Do I really really need to buy a new car?

I would have the trans fluid changed. Make sure the correct fluid is used and not a generic. I think that the LS could give you quite a few good miles yet.

What do they mean your car’s getting old? It’s only 6 years old! Stick with us, lady. We’ll help you fix what’s needed. Do you have any friends that are “car guys” that might have the right stuff to find problems and fix minor things for you? That would be a lot cheaper than any dealer. Find a good trusted independent mechanic shop to do your repairs, rather than an expensive dealer, unless things are under warranty. Ask around for references.
For the car, change the transmission fluid for sure. Then watch it for any leaks and any change in how it drives. I would refrain from long trips until you find the actual problem, however. Then, write us back and let us know if it’s better or worse. If you keep us posted we can help you more. The more info the better.

1. Do I drive my car til it tears up like they asked me to do?
  2. A mechanic friend told me I really really needed to buy a new car. … Do I really really need to buy a new car?

#1 No
#2 No

You do need to find out what is going on with that transmission. Frankly I don’t like that 180,000 miles without a transmission fluid change. That said you appear to have a problem and the man with the best percentage of right answers (almost 100%) is Transman and hopefully he will see your question soon and offer some advice.

Is this a manual transmission or automatic? (The LS was available with both this year).

Whew… 180k…