Transmission trouble

WAS TOLD THAT I NEED TO REPLACE AND DRAIN FLUIDS IN TRANSMISSION COSTING ABOUT $100-150 BEFORE KNOWING IF I NEED NEW TRANSMISSION FLUID WAS BLACK I KNOW IT SHOULD BE PINK

The advice is good. Do a pan drop and filter change and see what happens. Do another one in about 15K miles to get the fluid cleaner. The black is telling you that the fluid needed to be changed a long time ago; however, you could get by with only a few more frequent ATF changes, and not a new transmission. Time will tell.

jayhawkroy’s advice is good, and hopefully that fluid change (and perhaps another one in a few thousand miles) will keep your transmission functioning. As he said, only time will tell whether this procedure will help to reverse the previous lack of service to that transmission.

Also, please stop posting in all CAPS as it is the online equivalent of SHOUTING, and it is considered to be impolite–especially when requesting help.

I agree with the prior advice, but I will only emphasize that Damage has already been done.  We don't know how much.  Continuing to drive with what is in there will mean a very short life.  It is possible you have already driven too far and it will still have a short life, but it is worth the change that not too much damage has been done you it will have a long life after the fluid changes.

Was the only concern black fluid? Otherwise was the transmission operating correctly? If there was a operational concern its to late a flush and fill wont cure damage. please read earlier posts on this issue (within the past 2 weeks)

If the problem was one of how the automatic transmission was shifting, a fluid and filter change may “fix” that for a long time. If the problem is a slipping transmission, a filter and fluid change may help.

How is it running otherwise?? Is it shifting ok?? Black fluid means that the transmission got hot, real hot. Friction elements might be damaged beyond a simple fluid and filter change. If the trans is operating properly, I would drop the pan, change the filter, then flush the transmission. DO NOT take it to one of those fast lube places. Take it to a dealer or trans shop. Also, DO NOT let someone talk you into a flush unless they are dropping the pan and changing the filter BEFORE the flush. If they tell you that the filter change is not needed, WALK AWAY… What kind of car are we dealing with??? Year, Make, Model, and engine size would help greatly…

transman

Can you give a technical explaniation of how this could work?