Transmission shifts hard until fluid is warm

Excuse me???

That was when the fluid was first changed. It was changed again with Dex VI when the trans was later rebuilt

huh . . . ?!

1 Like

The guy that rebuilt the trans used da46 torque converter. I looked it up and it goes to a Ford Aspire. But the specs are really close to the ones for this car. Why he used it I don’t know why

I only saw a reference to Dex III which is not a synthetic. Dex III does not handle the temperatures that many modern transmission run at and that is why so many manufacturers switched to their own formulations.

I would think that should raise some red flags . . .

considering this repair/overhaul/hack was done “off the books” you may not have leverage . . . ?

1 Like

Both Dex III AND Nissan matic D are recommended for these cars, it says in the manual. Some even say that matic D is just Dex III with an additive

Yeah well theres nothing I can do about it.

After some doing, I was able to locate the owner manual online

It says Matic-D is required

Only in footnote #4 does it say dexron 3/mercon or equivalent may also be used

That is probably true, the additive making it a little more heat tolerant.

Manufacturers can’t actually specify that you have to use their brand ATF, but they can recommend it. The do have to publish specifications that the ATF has to meet in order to maintain the warranty and for a while, some of the manufacturers had a spec that most/all other ATF’s did not meet. If/when aftermarket ATF’s came to market that did meet the specs, the manufacturer could not deny a claim for using those products instead.

When you see an aftermarket brand that say’s it meets the manufacturers specs, you are relying on the fluid supplier to have done accurate testing.

As far as I know, Dex VI has meet the specs of all manufacturers for geared automatic transmissions. CVT’s take a different ATF.

Well Dex VI is the prime suspect in my situation. I could be wrong but I’ll find out soon. Again, another guy somewhere else said Dex VI caused this same trans to act up

Well that can happen. There is meeting the specs and there is the transmission still not liking that particular ATF.

the vehicle under question is 2000 Altima, I would not consider that “very modern” :slight_smile:

http://www.vadennissanservicecontracts.com/owners-manual/nissan/2000-Nissan-Altima.pdf

page 215:

I would still recommend going synthetic ATF from Valvoline, it meets all these specs and I had few occasions where it made [moderately] chatty/jerky old transmission to become decent

To be on the safe side we should just stick to Matic D and Matic D compatible

Well which one do you think will make it shift the smoothest - Valvoline Mercon V or Valvoline Import Multi? They are both Matic D compatible. This thing jerks kinda violently. Anyone who’s ridden in the car was like “what the hell”

Note your attachment says “recommended”, not required. Dex VI was not available when that owners manual was printed. According to GM, Dex Vi can be used in any application that Dex III is used in. On my 07 Silverado, Dex III came in the vehicle but a service bulletin has been issued since that recommends that if the ATF is replaced or make up ATF is needed, use Dex VI.

1 Like

That stuff is not staying in my car nor would I recommend it based on another persons experience that has the same trans as me. The major ATF companies don’t have it listed as compatible with this car either.

For example, this is from 2013:
http://www.carquestprofessionals.com/catalogs/chemicals/V-6217%20ATF%20Application%20NON-Laminated%20Guide%206.10.13.pdf

Nowhere is Dex VI listed as suitable for this car

I don’t care if it ‘technically’ is or not. But again, I’ll verify this after I switch the fluid out

Look, I didn’t intend to get into an argument with you or try to convince you to use Dex VI. I only initially stated that Dex VI is OK to use. I don’t know of any reason why it would not work for you but if you are having a bad experience with it, and you know that is what is in there now, I can’t argue with that. You know what you are experiencing, I don’t.

I’m only trying to help.

It may be ‘technically’ ok to use but that would be foolish by now and in comparison to other options available

I would vote for Import Multi