Transmission Rebuild or Used Transmission?

I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder with 170k - it’s been great and just last year put in a new (used) transfer case. My tranny has been dying and my local shop gave me two options: rebuild the transmission, or install a used transmission (from ‘LKQ’?) that has 57,000 miles on it. The prices are essentially the same - the Rebuild is a couple hundred dollars more. Any advice?? I’m no expert at cars but have definitely been aided in the past by these forums. Thanks in advance, and I’m here to answer any questions.

I would opt for a “quality” rebuild. A used transmission has 57K of what kind of miles? Maybe easy highway miles, and maybe towing a 8,000 trailer. Your chances are having a better, longer lasting transmission is with a rebuild.

Thank you - just the advice I wanted. That makes sense and the price isn’t much higher.

My vote is for the rebuild seeing as how there is only a few hundred dollars difference.

I don’t know if they’re the same all over but LKQ is a chain of pull it yourself salvage yards. A few years ago they bought out the pull it yourself yard in Tulsa, OK and rebadged it as LKQ.
LKQ does provide parts already pulled but at an inflated price as compared to the DIY method.

I’d go for the rebuild. Look out the window, point at the first car you see and tell me if you would guarantee me that the transmission in that car will work just fine for the next 3 years/36,000 miles. Of course you wouldn’t. Would you expect one from a salvage yard to?

Rebuild all the way around. A quality rebuilder can really make the thing essentially as good as new.

What are the most common things replaced in a proper rebuild ?

No question at all. Rebuild. Go to all that work and put a questionable trans in?