Transmission or Not?

I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra (automatic) with 110,000 miles. No major problems with the car outside of normal maintenance. New radiator in May 2008, new timing belt and drive belts installed May of 2009.

Two weeks ago the car’s check engine light was on and while out running errands the car at 45 mph made a sudden jerking motion then sounded like it would not move to the next gear. Immediately stopped driving the car until the next day to take to a mechanic. When the car first started running changed gears fine but once up to the 45 mph mark the jerking motion happened again.

Mechanics looked at it and first stated that I needed to replace the transmission input speed sensor and the OS sensor in the car. When these items were replaced the problem still remained. Next was to put in a new transmission. They installed a refurbished transmission with 25,000 miles on it along with the output shaft seals and the car is still doing the same thing.

They are continuing to diagnos the problem however cannot tell me even what they think might be the problem.

HELP! Any advice would be great. I am already locked into them for $1600.00 and no car with no solution or expected time to get it fixed and returned.

Holy cow do you need a new mechanic!

Did anyone even run the codes associated with the check engine light? You need to get and report those. Many auto parts chain stores will read them for free - write down the exact code # such as P1234

"Holy cow do you need a new mechanic! " That’s an understatement.

Get the car out of there. you might have a vacuum leak or a bad fuel pump or hopefully a bad fuel filter. only an opportunist would replace a transmission based on ur complaints.

When they put in the new tranny, did they reuse your old torque converter? I can’t say for sure since every car is a little different but on new automatics, there is something called a lock-up torque converter. by design, all torque converters have slip in them so that the motor can run while the car is stopped in gear. What a lock up torque converter does is let this slippage happen at low speeds but once a stable cruising speed is reached, it physically stops this slippage to improve millage. Where these mechanics forthcoming with any trouble codes they may have pulled from the cars computer?