Transmission Fluid Guide?

I’m sorry. I must have read this wrong

I have talked to & heard from too many tranny experts to use only the specific fluid and that all fluids are certainly NOT the same. I have also been warned by knowledgeable people about the multiple spec fluids. I figure why not use the manufacturer’s recommendation? What do I gain by buying something that some company or mechanic “claims” is just as good. It may be little to no risk. But I can’t find the benefit.

Question their knowledge.

Right, so the next time I post one question (such as: does anyone know of an up to date list of manufacturer’s recommendations?) and get some answers to a completely different question that I don’t actually have (such as: is there really such a difference between them and can I just use multipurpose fluids?) - I’ll just skip the part where I try to be polite, thank people for their efforts and clarify my concerns.

I find it ironic that this entire exchange started when you sarcastically implied that I was avoiding “education” in favor of just “doing what I’m told” when what you have really said is “avoid educating yourself, just do what you’re told by large lubricant manufacturers.”

And I’m still just not sure what is so ignorant about wanting a fluid that was specifically produced to specs put out by the manufacturer of the transmission in question. What, exactly, is my downside there?

In any case, common sense answer posted a link for the kind of thing I wanted to find. It is in my bookmarks. It is what I wanted, and I thank CSA again for that, and am now over and out.

/// - Live long and prosper

cigroller, If you can find a shop locally that will look up the specs on “ALL-DATA” or “SHOP KEY” this might be help to you in the future. It will tell you the capacity and type. In the past Ford used a fluid that made a firmer shift than a GM product.This,in theory ,was to make the trans clutches last longer. No or little slippage. GM prefers the soft shift. Most transmission shops use bulk DEXTRON, but add additives to the various different rebuilds.