Transmission Filter

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD 4X4

6 liter.

I am having difficulty finding a tranny filter because chevy has a deep pan and shallow pan cover.

How can I determine what I have and what is the best tranny filter to buy?

Can anyone help please. Thanks

Maybe I misunderstand the question, I have not had a napa parts store fail me yet.

Have you tried GM? How about NAPA?

I haven’t tried NAPA and I tried GM’s web site but couldn’t find anything.
The issue is still a shallow pan vs a deep pan and I don’t know how to tell the difference.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks guys

Take it to an independent transmission shop and have THEM do it. Best money you ever spent…

I would buy both, pull the pan & filter, use the one that’s right & return the one that isn’t right. The pan shape is likely to be different (thus only one of the gaskets will fit), and the filter almost certainly will be different. Once you figure this out leave yourself a note about it somewhere so you know the next time.

Thanks cigroller. That sounds like a plan.
Appreciate it!!

Drop the pan and pull the filter out. Here is a pic of both types. The first pic is for the shallow pan. You can see the shorter pickup tube compared to the deep pan filter. Yours is most likely the deep pan.

transman

Thanks Transman…Great photos, will help me alot!!

The only thing I’ll add is that you should make sure the old seal on the filter comes out with the old filter rather than remaining behind and possibly mucking up the works.