Transmission/clutch

As letting my clutch out on my manual transmission in my tdi something “clunked” and it will go in gear but won’t move. As it’s in gear it revs a little and the speedo moves. But it sounds like something us “rubbing” metal on metal maybe. Any thoughts would help a lot. Thanks.

If your speedometer shows movement you must have a broken CV joint or axle assembly.

2 Likes

Yeah something is broken between the clutch and axles. Just check the axles first. If you don’t see anything then your clutch has gone out. Does the clutch pedal still feel normal?

My vote is with these guys. I think you busted a CV joint. Sorry.
You didn’t state the year or mileage, but if one CV joint popped I’d change the other side while I was at it. It probably isn’t too far behind.

A busted CV joint is better than needing a new clutch. $-wise in repairs I mean. Hopefully it’s just the CV joint needs replacing. when this happened what was the situation? Upshifting while pulling away from the stop light at low speed? Downshifting? Or attempting to rapidly accelerate, for example to merge into a faster moving freeway lane?

I was in first gear just easily getting into. And then heard a noise and I quit moving CV joints and acles are fine. And the clutch peddle feels normal

It’s all new within about 20k

Yes clutch pedal is normal it’s all fairly new parts

It’s the speedo moving around that’s making folks here think the problem is at the transmission output stage or later (axles//cv joints). OP, could you clarify what you mean by that?? How much does the speedo jump around, and by how much in mph vs rpm changes?

I dunno, I’m still with the other guys. Just because it is new doesn’t mean its still OK. I would imagine a boot would be ripped but I think you need someone to put it in gear while you take a look and see what is turning. That would be simpler than the clutch again or transmission.

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a busted CV joint, new or not.