Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

Transmission-chevy caprice classic wagon

when replacing a front seal on a chevy caprice classic wagon -88- do you need to replace the pump, also?

Not unless the pump is bad.

No, but you need to replace the bushing behind the seal inside the pump. This requires removal and disassembly of the pump. Reason being, the bushing needs to be pressed out of the pump from the front to the rear then the new one pressed back into the pump from the front. Also, make sure the hub of the torque converter (This is the end which slides into the pump past the seal) is not damaged in any way. If it looks and feels worn, the converter must be replaced or the transmission will leak.