Transmission and the Cold

dodge
grandcaravan

I have a 2005 Grand Caravan and as everyone knows, this winter has been a cold one. The GC has always started without problem but after I back out of my parking spot, it sits outside, I put it into Drive and it will not move and after I give it a little gas it would still not move. None of the gears seem to work, but if I wait a little bit and the Van warms a little more it will go into gear and all is good. This does not happen all the time and when it does go into gear and I drive I do not have anymore problems until the next time it will “act up” on me again. Is this a problem or is it a cold problem and not a transmission problem?

Have you checked the transmission fluid?

How many miles are on it? What is the maintenance history of the transmission (fluid/filter changes)? Are there any warning lights on the dash?

cigroller is right. if your transmission has not been serviced within the time frames required, I would get it done soon!

It would also be good to know where you lived and what you considered cold. If you live where 30 degrees F or higher is the normal low, it makes the issues more severe then if you live where waking up to 30 degrees below F is the norm. Either way, topping fluids off and warming an auto are a temporary solution. Getting it serviced and evaluated are the long term fix.

Changing the trans fluid and filter should be the first step, regardless.

You might consider backing into your drive until warmer weather or you solve the problem that way you will not set in the road waiting for the vehicle to move.

You might consider backing into your drive until the weather warms up or you find a solution to your problem.

You might consider backing into your drive until the weather warms up or you find a solution to your problem.