Transmission acting up

I have a 2015 Pilot and it’s giving me trouble. It’s a certified preowned it had 29k on it. Thought I’d save some money and get used. This thing vibrated like crazy after I had it a few weeks. It needed a new driveshaft. It doesn’t vibrate but sometimes when slowing down it will make a whiny hum and you can feel a slight vibration. It’s been back 3 times and of course they can never duplicate it.

Just the other day I came home parked it for 20 minutes got in it and when I put it in park the car did a strange thing, hard to describe like a little surge. My foot was on the brake. Also, sometimes it shifts hard. When I bought it they changed the trans fluid and the diffs. The power train is covered till 60k. Should I hang on or dump this thing while I can still get good money.

I traded in a 2009 with 130k on it and had no problems. My thinking was I’ll grab the 15 because the 16’s were new and all the bugs should be worked out of the old model. I really learned a lesson, because I just read that consumer reports shows this model and year in their worst of the worst list. All my fault and lesson learned.

I have my eye on a new 4 Runner. I reasearched it well went to Toyota forums and it looks reliable. Should I cut my losses on this lemon?

2 Likes

if dealer’ mechanics were helpful (so your warranty would be really worth something), probably “go there often, wear them down” strategy might work, but you tell they are pretty much in denial, so having “certified pre-owned” looks to be not much different from “as-is / no warranty” really

your research showed this model year has substantial troubles -> unlikely you will drive it to 130K trouble-free => minimize your losses, dispose it

@steveng
Since it was Certified Pre-Owned then I take it that you bought from a Honda Dealer. Is this correct?

Have you tried another reputable dealer?

Since the car is covered by warranty, has problems that aren’t being corrected by the dealer, have you contacted Customer Assistance at Honda?
CSA

@steveng

“This thing vibrated like crazy after I had it a few weeks. It needed a new driveshaft. It doesn’t vibrate but sometimes when slowing down it will make a whiny hum and you can feel a slight vibration. It’s been back 3 times and of course they can never duplicate it.”

I see that Honda published a detailed TSB (technical service bulletin) to help their technicians diagnose and remedy “excessive vibration” in some of these vehicles. It is quite involved. It includes the possibility of propeller shaft replacement and I see that was done to your vehicle.

So, it seems Honda is aware of driveline vibration issues with this model. I wonder if you could arrange to meet with the Honda Service Regional Representative and the Dealer Service Manager at a Honda dealer and see if he/she could spend a little time and shed some light on this matter.
CSA

1 Like

I’m using a dealer that I have been going to since 2008. I tried another dealer and they charged me for things they didn’t do and I went nuts on them and was refunded.

Also, some mornings when it’s cold you can feel a vibration through the cabin and I had a passenger ask me what was wrong. It vibrates through the seats. I’ve had it back like 4 times and I even dropped it off the night before and they said no problems. Also, it was through my research that I came up with the driveshaft problems. I said to the advisor I saw online their is a tsb on the driveshaft and they said they knew nothing about it. Sometimes I hear a whine when slowing to a stop and just before you stop I’ll get some vibration.

It’s going to be an uphill battle when it’s a intermittent problem. I’m warn down at this moment and tired of dealing with them. Tired of setting up the loaner car and driving back and forth only to have them look at me like I don’t know what I’m talking about.

It’s time to contact American Honda and discuss this issue with them. It sure seems like the dealer is giving you the run-around. If @“common sense answer” can find a TSB, surely they can. I would also bring that particular point up with American Honda. If you still want to take another shot with the dealer, wait until the Pilot exhibits the vibration, call the dealer’s service department from the Pilot, and have them meet you in their parking lot for a drive with you in the truck. If they deny it when both of you are in the SUV, then make that another point to discuss with Honda.

1 Like

Previous owner returned it? Thought Honda kept detailed records of prior service issues? I think u got a buyback rig.

It was a leased vehicle. The guy worked at the dealer and it was his wife’s car. It also has good service records.

It vibrated like crazy after u bought it? But not during test drive? That’s life.

I hate to say it, but that sounds like a salesman’s story to me. I believe you, I’m just not sure I believe HIM.
I always wonder with a late model used car that’s back for sale why it is. I always wonder of there’s a problem with it… or it was in an accident.

Your paperwork should have come with a protocol to push the problem “up the ladder” to the manufacturer rep. I recommend you use it. In addition, keep and collect all of your copies of the shop orders and be sure they clearly document the problem, what was done (even if it’s only a test drive) and the results. You’ll need that for your complaints.

And while I’m unaware of “lemon laws” that cover used cars, check your state’s anyway. If it does, find out if it might apply.

I believe the salesman he said the car was transferred from a New York dealer to Connecticut and the town they lived in matched the car fax data.

I’m going to call Honda and start a case file. It shakes when it gets below 35 degrees and you can feel it throughout the whole vehicle and after about 3 minutes it smooths out and then drives fine. I’m assuming it must have something to do with the driveshaft they replaced.

@steveng

“I have my eye on a new 4 Runner. I reasearched it well went to Toyota forums and it looks reliable. Should I cut my losses on this lemon?”

I’m inadvertently reading between the lines.

If you got the current problems ironed out would otherwise like the car?

Are you once bitten, twice shy on this car?
Is that something you could get over if it was operating properly?

Do you like almost everything else pertaining to the Pilot?
CSA

I have to bring it back and see if the driveshaft they put in is working correctly. I liked the boxy styling of 2015 compared to the new pilot which looks like a minivan.

I thought I would be smart and buy used and save a few bucks.

steveng

“I thought I would be smart and buy used and save a few bucks.”

It is a smart move, in my opinion. Don’t beat yourself up over it. It doesn’t necessarily hold that the problem was caused by the car being “used” or CPO.

Many folks with brand new Pilots experienced the same thing, and it resulted in a TSB for Honda Technicians and replacement of some drive shafts and detailed information. It has more to do with that particular make & mode than the fact you chose “used”.

I have purchased several CPO (certified pre-owned vehicles) (GM & Chrysler) and plan on doing it again. I have saved thousands and thousands of dollars.

I’d use my phone and call Honda as you plan to do. I would expect them to help make you a satisfied Honda Pilot owner, new, CPO, or otherwise.

Please keep us posted.
CSA