Tranny performance

I recently purchased a 1994 Buick Park Ave Ultra.Sometimes when first starting the car and put it in gear, it will not respond. After idiling any where from 30 seconds, or as much as 3 to 4 minutes the transmission will engage and shift and run smoothly.The fluid I am sure is old,however I’ve been told by several friends that if I change the fluid and filter the tranny is sure to quit soon after.The car has 200,000 miles on it. the engine purrs.Other than catching it up on maintenance I havn’t done much else to it. Any suggestions?

We get this post many times; if the transmission hesitates or acts up in any way take it to a good independent (not a Chain) shop for a diagnosis. At that mileage it will certainly need a fluid and filter change, adjustment, etc. This is your least cost solution.

If you check the fluid, it will not likey be bright pink and clear, which is what good fluid should look like.

If you keep driving it, regardless of the “folklore” from your friends, it will soon FAIL in a VERY EXPENSIVE manner.

At this mileage, and without any proven maintenance, the transmission IS ALREADY ON ITS LAST LEGS!!

I agree. 200k miles on an automatic transmission in a FWD car is about as good as you can hope for. The transmission is probably on borrowed time at this point. Chances are you’re going to need a rebuild soon.

I agree with the preceding two posts.

Given the current symptoms, that transmission is likely to fail totally in a very short time whether it is flushed and refilled with fluid or not. Your best bet, as Docnick said, is to take it to a well-reputed independent transmission shop for diagnosis.

In other words, DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, or any other chain transmission shop unless you want an overpriced overhaul that is poorly done. While the best case scenario, even at an honest independent shop, is likely to be a bill of…maybe a few thousand bucks…at least it will be a more competent repair job, and it will likely also be cheaper than the slip-shod work at a chain operation.