Tranny Leak Fix

I have a 91 Dodge 1/2 ton truck, 318, automatic with over 100k miles (speedometer broke @ 89k years ago). This is a part time work truck. 2 to 3 thousand miles a year. I was rear ended a couple weeks ago and it caused a leak in one of the coolant lines going into the radiator. The leak is at the crimp where the solid and rubber lines join together. How do I fix this leak without replacing the whole line?

Cut the hose, cut the end off of the hard line with a tubing cutter, use a flaring tool to flare the end of the hard line, slide the rubber hose over the flared end of the hard line, then use two hose clamps to secure it nice and tight. Done it many times, works fine.

Thanks for the reply. If the rubber hose is too short and needs replacing, does it need to be replaced with any special type hose or will fuel hose be adequate? Also, what size hose would I need?

You need special rubber hose made for transmission cooling lines. Regular fuel lines will prematurely breakdown and cause problems.

I know NAPA sells prepacked 3-foot lengths of rubber transmission cooling hose for about $12. They typically have various sizes on a display on the floor.

Since you were rear ended it sounds like you qualify for the full treatment in regards to this repair, no “field expedient” repairs necessary,get it fixed right, it is on someone else’s dollar isn’t it?