Tranny in a Ditch F-150 2004 Lariat

My son got my 2004 Lariat F 150 (49K) in a ditch and he spun for awhile and later we towed it out. Since then, the “Transmission Malfunction” lite came on steady. Took it in and it was a quart low on T fluid. The indicator lite went away for about 10 hours, then it flashed on once and stayed out. Any ideas? Is the tranny shot? The truck was tilted in the ditch at 30 degrees and he spun and 4 while for awhile. Also, now in reverse. on every wheel revolution i hear a short scraping noise. Took it for a thorough cleaning, but I wonder if the mud is still in or around the axel. But why only in reverse? Ideas? Tom Burgess XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Optional Information:

Year : 2004

Make : Ford

Model: Super Crew Lariat

Engine: 5.4

Already Tried:

Wash it. My son got my 2004 Lariat F 150 (49K) in a ditch and he spun for awhile and later we towed it out. Since then, the “Transmission Malfunction” lite came on steady. Took it in and it was a quart low on T fluid. The indicator lite went away for about 10 hours, then it flashed on once and stayed out. Any ideas? Is the tranny shot? The truck was tilted in the ditch at 30 degrees and he spun and 4 while for awhile. Also, now in reverse. on every wheel revolution i hear a short scraping noise. Took it for a thorough cleaning, but I wonder if the mud is still in or around the axel. But why only in reverse? Ideas? Tom Burgess XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Sorry, you will need to have it scan, a malfunction code was stored.

No matter how many computers you hook up to an engine the basics are still the same. If the trans works fine in forward geers then there is a big chance that you have mud and crap in hard to reach places. A neat little trick I didn’t learn until I bought my own code scanner: there is a function in the scanner that allows you to clear out all codes. For some reason a cars computer will store trouble codes regardless of the problem being fixed or not.

Nothing will overheat and damage an automtic transmission faster than rocking the vehicle back and forth shifting from drive to reverse attempting to get a vehicle unstuck.

Tester

I don’t necessarily agree, Tester. Rocking, with proper brake application at the end of each action, is the preferred way to get out of a stuck position. The thing that will boil/volatilize your fluid quickest is spinning the tires for prolonged periods of time. The rpms are high, the converter is puking ungodly heat. In some FWD models, it can allow rotating parts to grind a hole in the case.

http://www.americantransmissionnc.com/transinfo.htm

Tester

If the scraping in reverse is once per tire revolution look to the wheel/tire/hub/rear axle for the cause. The rear axle gearing would eliminate the transmission as the cause since the drive shaft turns 3 to 4 times faster than the wheels.