Does anyone know if the Trailblazer '05 have a chip in the key? My dash theft light (engine/keylock) is lit and the engine won’t start. Looked at fuses already and seemed good. Trying to figure out if it is computer issue; thou garage ran the computer tester on the truck 2x and came up empty. Lost
I don’t think so. The theft system is incorporated in the ignition switch on these models.
Missileman. Thanks much. Just trying to figure out the reason so I can figure out the costs before towing it to the dealer. Trying to avoid surprises in today’s economy. Ignition switch, I wonder if they are costly.
Once the alarm is tripped, a timer is started and during this period, the engine cannot be started. IIRC, it times out after 5 minutes but waiting 15 would be safer.
Before you do anything drastic, you might want to try the re-learn procedure. A good description is posted in reply to the question in this thread- http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=69908&highlight=security+light
Twin Turbo. It won’t start even at 15 min or an entire day. I went on to the Chevy site you proposed, but the programming doesn’t get me to the exact thread that you linked to. Any chance of cut and paste to email@example.com so I can read and understand. Thanks. I’ll keep trying.
The security issue is involved with the key cylinder passlock system. It might have a fault in the wiring, in which case a dealer visit might be necessary. Or you might bring it back to life with a relearning procedure:
30 Minute Learn Procedure (requires no tools)
- Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
- Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. (engine will not start)
- Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
- Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles (30 minutes). The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
In other words, don’t forget the final step 4 before you try to start the car.
- Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.