Trade-in value vs repair

That’s great, but there is a big difference between investing in repairs for a car which broke down due to normal wear-and-tear, bad luck, etc. versus investing in repairs for a car which has known design defects which will continue to be a problem even after repair(s) are completed. Your Rambler was a decent car (for its day) whereas the Nissan CVT-equipped models are not. I stand by my advice to sell the car “as-is” and not put another dime into it.

2 Likes

dealer offered $9k and you owe $5k. good. does dealer offer require you to buy a car from them? or is it cash?

Dealer offered $8k cash - they said possibly more for trade-in.

I got a better offer from another dealership and decided to part ways with this one and go new rather than repair.

I found a dealership offering a good deal more than what Nissan offered. I did speak with a local transmission guy, but even he said the repair would be a little pricey. I decided ultimately to part ways with the Altima and go for a new vehicle.

I appreciate all the info and input - it’s been extremely helpful!

@bcohen2010 You may be right. I thought Nissan may have made some improved parts for the CVT transmissions and the replacement or repaired transmissions would be more reliable.
I have only driven one vehicle with s CVT. It reminded me of the Chevrolet PowerGlide of the early 1950s.

I have also only driven on vehicle with CVT–a brand-new Crosstrek. I found nothing unusual about the way that it drove, and I have to think that there is a difference from one make to another in terms of both the performance and the reliability of CVTs,

@VDCdriver I like to compare the PowerGlide and DynaFlow automatic transmissions of the Chevrolet and Buick of the ,early 1950s and the 4 speed Hydramatic transmission of the other GM makes with the CVT and multispeed transmissions of today. The PowerGlide and DynaFlow depended completely on the torque converter and did not shift while the Hydramatic had 4 speeds but had s fluid coupling with no torque multiplication. Back then, I thought the Hydramatic was the way to go. Today, I prefer a multispeed automatic to the CVT even though the CVT doesn’t have the slippage of the PowerGlide and DynaFlow of the old days.

here is some info for your read pleasure. :laughing:

Dynaflow, Turboglide, Roto Hydra-Matic, and Other Early GM Automatics > Ate Up With Motor

Wonder what OP got? Another Nissan?