Toyota's wide mirrors

“FireRooster 5:49PM Report
My 2000 Toyota Camry does not have folding mirrors because it was assembled in the good ole US of A. If cars are assembled in Japan, Korea or Europe, they main reason to have folding mirrors is to save space, so that the shipper can fit more cars in the boat.”

Seriously? What fraction of a car’s width is the unfolded mirror vs. the folded mirror? The cars go in containers anyway.

I remember when I built mirrors for the military, of course I saw my share of combat when I wasn’t building mirrors, and then during my academic career I supervised the staff who taught engineers how to build mirrors, and of course there was the time my daughter-in-law got in an accident on her wedding day, and I had to fabricate a mirror using only a portable television, and then, one time at band camp…

Mirror are a cheap alternative to body work. During the winters up here parking on the side of the road narrows, I was driving a delivery truck and met an other large truck, we didn’t hit but I broke the mirror of a parked pickup with my mirror. His mirror was a folding model but that didn’t help, good thing I stopped to find the owner he was a retired state trooper. If mirror weren’t wider than the vehicle why bother having them.