Toyota tundra radiator system

Hi first time here and have a question. I have a 2000 toyota tundra v8 yesterday my raditor had so much pressure on it the radiator was overheating and cap flew off and sent a geyser of coolant upwards. This morning i bought a new radiator and cap put them on. Afterwards went to take wife to work about 15 min drive interstate and checked the coolant and my reserve tank was close to overflowing with some bubbles in it. Dont know if headgasket or waterpump. The coolant has no of color and oil is still looking good, thermostat was replaced about 2 months ago.

Remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold.

Start the engine, and as the engine idles watch the coolant in the radiator.

If bubbles begin forming in the coolant, it points to a blown head gasket.

Tester

1 Like

Yes bubbles started coming out kinda like a bubble bath. So is that something good for the sealant or need new headgasket.

New head gasket(s) are always better.

But on a 20 year old truck, the cost to do a replacement may be more than what the truck is worth.

I recommend this when it comes to that.

Sodium silicate can be used to fill gaps within the head gasket. Commonly used on aluminum alloy cylinder heads, which are sensitive to thermally induced surface deflection. This can be caused by many things including head-bolt stretching, deficient coolant delivery, high cylinder head pressure, overheating, etc.

"Liquid glass" (sodium silicate) is added to the system through the radiator, and allowed to circulate. Sodium silicate is suspended in the coolant until it reaches the cylinder head. At 100–105°C (212-221°F), sodium silicate loses water molecules to form a glass seal with a remelt temperature above 810°C (1,490°F).

A sodium silicate repair can last two years or longer. The repair occurs rapidly, and symptoms disappear instantly. This repair works only when the sodium silicate reaches its “conversion” temperature at 100–105°C. Contamination of engine oil is a serious possibility in situations in which a coolant-to-oil leak is present. Sodium silicate (glass particulate) contamination of lubricants is detrimental to their function.

But! This method cannot be used if coolant is leaking into the crankcase.

Tester

Sorry forgot to mention had the radiator system flushed 2 weeks ago and the bubbles that are comingup look like soap bubbles could something like that be the issue

I do have the thermostat removed and water in the system the water flows then the bubbles start pour some more press the upper hose to get the bubbles off and see the water flowing no problems then soap bubbles again.