Toyota Sienna transmission problems

Do Toyota Siennas have transmission problems?

Some do and some don’t . Do you have one or are you looking to buy one ?

Early 2000’s Honda Odyssey’s had trans issues. My wife has an 2006 Sienna, runs and drives better than my 2013 Equinox.

Ed B.

Toyota are not known for transmission problemsThey built one of the toughest transmission in the industry.

It depends on how well they’re taken care of in regards to fluid changes, but they’re generally reliable

1 Like

I sold my 2004 Sienna with 232,000 miles on it and the transmission was still rock solid and shifting like new. All I ever did was change transmission fluid every 60,000 miles.

Consumer Reports says Siennas from 2011-2018 have much better than average reliability in the categories Transmission, Major and Transmission, Minor. The only exception is the 2017, which is rated better than average for Transmission, Minor.

2011 was the first year of that generation of Siennas. I don’t know if the 2019 is of the same generation or is a major redesign.

I believe the original title to this tread indicated a model year in the 1990’s, if the van is 20 years old transmission problems are a definite possibility.

Don’t have one but am considering buying an older model.

Do the proper thing , just have a mechanic look over any used vehicle you might want for about 125.00.
Not all vehicles of a brand have the same problems and an older used one could have the problems taken care of.

I owned a 2011 Sienna. My son now has that van. It has well over 100,000 miles and has had no transmission problems. I now have a 2017 Sienna. The transmission has had no issues in 17,000 miles.
Siennas aren’t the most exciting vehicles to drive, but they are practical. With the middle seats removed and the rear seats folded down, I managed to load a set of four timpani into the Sienna a couple of weeks ago when our chamber orchestra played at an assisted care facility.
My advice on a Sienna is to buy something else. You will always be asked to haul something or transport people. My back still aches from loading and unloading the timpani. I am tempted to trade the Sienna for a Mazda Miata. The Miata would have just enough space for me and my horn. Percussion players should be forced to own Siennas.