Toyota Rav 4 Ran Without little or no oil for 1 mile @ 40 mph

If you actually drove only a mile after the problem showed up, I doubt if it is damaged . Now if it were a Dodge, it would be OK.

well it’ll be interesting to hear how it turns out. Would be more interesting to know if there was damage or not.

I don’t think they’ll have the guy doing the work for free. The feds labor and hour would have a hay day with that. You either pay him or fire him but if he works he gets paid. Geez, you can’t even have people eat at their desk during lunch because its not enough of a break from work.

@ok4450, Tom and Ray refer to this type of insurance on their show as “bonehead insurance,” and they’ve referenced it often.

Point taken. I’ve just never heard of it. I know dealers carry insurance to cover their tails in a situation such as someone leaving lug nuts loose and a lost wheel causes a driver to careen into something or someone but insurance to cover damage to a mechanical component is new to me.

Self-insured is the way most of it is done other than the careening out of control scenario.

I am guessing they took your car and paid it off-then sold you a new one $2K over invoice.

Galant was partially correct. They took the old one in trade and paid it off. I did a lot of checking on the price and I got a new 2012 Camry XLE. I paid $23,500 which is about $200 over invoice and about $1000 less than the Edmunds True Market Value. I felt pretty good about the deal. I felt the car was “damaged goods” and I wouldn’t trust it without a new engine or a rebuilt one. I still have the oil sample and I am going to send it in just so I know and I will post back here the results. Thank you all for your comments, they were very helpful in the negotiaions. Toyota kept me as a loyal customer, but I sure as heck going to check for leaks under the car before I leave the shop.
PS the general manager told me they let the guy go who made the error.

Option two because they can hide the mistake to someone else, and maybe never encounter another problem plus they make more money off of you because used cars are selling well lately(thus profiting from the trade in), and also the profit of selling you a new car. Win Win for them.

You have to determine if win for you.