Toyota Prius or Golf Diesel?

Thanks for the additonal info. Yes, I rode in a Toyota diesel taxi in Asia; it had 1.4 million kilometers on it! I’m always puzzled why Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mitsubishi don’t sell their excelelnt diesels in North America. I understand there will be a Honda Civic diesel out next year.

no Golf Diesel will ever get anywhere near 85MPG, not even close. More like 50-55MPG

Well I agree 85 is high, but for me with a 2002 NB TDI I would be wondering what was wrong if I was only getting 55 on the highway. My usual is 60 - 63 mpg (US Gallons) But then I generally drive 55-60 mph when the traffic allows.

As far as pollution, there is no direct way to compare. They both pollute, but they don’t both pollute the same things. Also with the new models the diesels will pollute far less, as they do in other more civilized parts of the world already. :slight_smile:

I’m waiting for a Checker Marathon hybrid diesel. The ultimate taxi!

You’re really splitting hairs here. I’ll never quote gas mileage and assume people travel at 55mph these days-it’s a bit misleading. I assume 65 MPH minimum and keep in mind that many folks travel 75-80 MPH depending where they are in the country. Speed limit is now 80 MPH I hear in Texas. Good luck getting 60mpg in a Golf/Beetle Diesel with the A/C on travelling at 75-80 MPH.

I won’t touch the pollution argument, because it just winds up being ping-pong.

They don’t sell them here mainly because 1. There’s no demand for it. 2. Diesel engines are more expensive and the american public will not spend mid-size car money for a compact car. 3. Thanks to fiasco with diesel powered cars during the embargo, many americans view diesels as slow, smelly, noisy, black-smoke belching, horribly unreliable cars. Personally I wouldn’t want a diesel car because of the lack of high RPM power, and they still sound like farming implements when you really step on it.

Reduceing is not what we need. It’s like telling a killer to kill 10 people a week insteed of 20, he is still killing people. We can stop if people would just be willing to do it.

Alcohol and Fuel made from vegetable oil is not contrived it’s fact. It was used before oil and gas.

DCX conversions custom EV cars could beat oil on any given day of the week.
0 to 60mph
0 to 100mph
stopping time
in just about every instince a EV car would win the day!

The morning paper just had an announcement that Toyota will have a hybrid diesel in a little over a year. Which model they did not’say, but the Prius in taxi service has been selling extremely well, so it’s a likely cadidate.

It’s a bad joke nothing more. The prius isn’t worth the scarp metal it was made from period.

And where would you say this info was gotten from the company or the dealerships??
Honda has made over 10million V-tec motors and they claim not even one failer. I’m a car mechanic and exporter here in Japan dealing with mostly JDM cars and the fact is that V-tecs fail all the time as do Prius. Don’t believe everything you read, (especialy) when it comes from the companys who made the car in the first place.

There is in Japan and we export to every country but the US and Canada because the US market frowns on diesil cars.

You obviously haven’t a clue…

WOW…your a self proclaimed mechanic…I’m supposed to be impressed.

Show me where Honda made the claim that the V-Tec motors never fail!!! This I want to see. You make a fact like that…then back it up bub…

Don’t believe everything you read, (especialy) when it comes from the company who made the car in the first place.

From what I’ve seen in you’re writings…I don’t believe a WORD you say. You haven’t a clue…and obviously a very very limited education…I’d be very surprised if you graduated highschool…Actually I’d be very surprised if you attended high-school.

Pointless>>>!! He got 45 mile to the gallon. Sorry VW Lupo Diesil 75 miles to the gallon.

Sorry it was a VW Lupo and it was 75 miles to the gallon to a 45 by the Prius as I said before (POINTLESS).

Yes your right it was a VW Lupo and 75 Miles to the gallon.

I won’t touch the pollution argument, because it just winds up being ping-pong.

Yea, it is a matter of apples and oranges.

I’m not a self proclaimed anything I have been living in Japan for 8 years building, designing, racing, and exporting cars all over the world.
I’m the CEO of DCX Conversions International CO., LTD.
I have been in the carbon fiber racing body molds and after market parts for over 20 years now.
I made $3.2million last year just selling F3, F4, F3000 Formila Nippon, and Jim Carna racing car chassis and cars.