Hybrid vs. Regular engine Toyota

I have a 1999 Camry with 198,000 miles. I commute 72 miles one-way. I’m thinking about getting a Toyota hybrid. I love my Camry and would prefer another one. Is it the trade off on economy better for a hybrid or another straight gas 4 cyl.?

It would seem to depend upon the type of driving you do. City driving would yield big returns and may make the investment worthwhile. Highway commuting less so. What does your commute look like ?

If you drive mostly highway (which it seems likely with a 72 mile commute)…then the hybrid is NOT the way to go.

For most owners, I doubt if the hybrid feature will save enough fuel to overcome the additional cost for most people. However I have been very impressed with the durability of the technology. It appears most if not all the glitches I expected did not occur.

The Camry Hybrid offers just 3 miles per gallon highway advantage, but 10 in the city.
You’d have to drop down to the Prius to realize a substantial improvement over all but loss in performance.

My commute is freeway miles on fairly flat terrain in Arkansas. I see the reason to stay with gas vs. hybrid.

My commute is freeway miles on fairly flat terrain in Arkansas.

My commute is freeway miles on fairly flat terrain in Arkansas.

The Prius offers 48 mpg highway which may be worthwhile to consider. You will not be driving a Camry. I’d try one out to see if I could live with the performance. A lot of commuters find they can.

Thanks for the info. I’ll probably stick with a newer used Camry.