Toyota Previa Blown Head Gasket v. Rebuilt Engine

I purchased a used 1995 Toyota Previa without getting an independent inspection. My fault and enough said on that topic. Anyway, I now have a blown head gasket, after already replacing the radiator, idle pulley system, brakes – so I have sunk a few dollars already into this automobile. I LOVE Previas – have had a 1992 until last July when I was broadsided and rolled. She gave me 287,000+ miles with little problems.

I drove the 1995 for almost 10,000 before the problems started and am now looking at putting in a rebuilt engine, which is mucho bucks. Is it worth it? Are there other problems that might be lurking because of all the stop leak, etc. this repair shop mechanic put into this vehicle?

Thanks so much for the feedback.

I wouldn’t replace the engine unless it was necessary. Why do you think it’s time for a new engine? Replacing the head gasket and flushing the stop leak out of the cooling system should do the trick.

A 1995 is already 14 years old . . . I’ll bet you can find a wrecked '95 in a salvage yard somewhere . . . buy the engine and have it installed for a lot less than rebuilding your present engine. I would be worried about “all the stop leak”. That sounds like you really put a lot in, and this could come back to bite you if you only do the head. On the other hand . . . if you have the whole engine rebuilt . . . this won’t be an issue . . . but the price of rebuilding an engine, almost any engine . . . if done correctly . . . is often a labor of love and not economics, as things will get expensive very fast and rebuilding correctly is done on “specialty” vehicles, not on 14 year old Toyotas. Since you already have a bunch of new stuff on your '95, look for a good used engine and have it installed. BTW . . . how many miles on the Previa? How is the rest of the car? Good luck! Rocketman

Duplicate Post

Go To The Other Posting For More Information.