Toyota in rain

My 1994 Toyota truck begins bucking and losing power when driven in heavy rain, and for about 2 days afterward. I’ve been told I need a new clutch but haven’t had it done yet.

I think you’re more likely to need things like new spark plug wires & distributor cap. You have pretty classic symptoms of ignition components being affected by water. I’m not sure what that has to do with the clutch.

My guess is it is not the clutch, but rather water in the ignition system, most likely the spark plug wires.

Tonight open the hood and have someone start it up. Look for sparks along the plug wires. If you see any, you need new plug wires (even if they are not causing the bucking).

While driving through deep standing water can cause some problems with the clutch, but just rain usually does not do the trick.

Yes, thanks, but the garage has soaked the engine and could not replicate the problem which diminishes the wires and distr.cap as the culprit somewhat.

Yes, thanks, but the garage has soaked the engine and could not replicate the problem which diminishes the wires and distr.cap as the culprit somewhat.

Did the garage SPRAY THE ENGINE from the UNDERSIDE??? That’s where the rain comes from.

That’s a good point~

If your truck is 15 years old, and if you can’t remember when you replaced the spark plug wires, etc., then just do it. Tests are nice, but your wires are shot. It’s not so expensive and you just need to get this done.