Toyota Camry Hybrid Speedometer Issue

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid that is having a speedometer problem. The speedometer registers 3 MPH more than my actual speed regardless what speed I am traveling. For example, if I am going 25 MPH, my speedometer will read 28 MPH; if I am traveling at 60 MPH my speedometer will read 63 MPH.

I took my car to the dealership and they replicated the issue, but said that it is operating within ?normal? range. They admitted that they do not know how to fix the problem. I did not need to worry for it is operating within normal range. I have never had this problem with any other car, including my previous Toyota Camry. Is this really a problem? If so, any suggestions on how to get it fixed?

If it’s any consolation (I know it’s not), my 2009 Camry Hybrid is exactly the same. The speedometer consistently reads 2-3 MPH faster than I’m actually going. I don’t know why, but I have a theory: going faster reduces gas mileage. Toyota wants to emphasize what great mileage the Camry hybrids get. By making you think you’re going faster than you really are, they encourage you to drive more slowly and therefore improve your mileage. Only a little bit, but little bits add up. As a side effect, I haven’t gotten a speeding ticket in the three years I’ve had the car.

All or at least nearly all cars come calibrated to read a little fast. They have done this for years. I would guess they had too many complaints when someone got a ticket or tried to sue after an accident. Most if not all of today’s cars can be adjusted to read more accurately.