Toyota 2008 Camry hybrid - new rings pistons

Back in 2018, Toyota replaced the rings and pistons as part of a warranty issue. I wasn’t burning oil after 95000 miles then but they went ahead and did the work. I was told the rings for several years were not correct. Anyway, I never received a list of everything they replaced at the time. I was wondering if they had to replace the coolant or anything else in order to complete the job. Any ideas?

Coolant and oil, I’d think, and a timing belt if it has one. edit-Just checked, no belt.

1 Like

They might have changed the coolant, or just saved it and put it back. Does the shop that did the repair have a record? They probably had to submit a detailed claim to Toyota corporate.

1 Like

Why are you asking? It’s about time to change your coolant, even if they replaced it.

I’m at the mileage for a major service and trying to figure out what needs to be done. You’re right, even if they changed the coolant in 2018, it should be done again even if not many miles have been added since then. Thanks.

1 Like

Replacing pistons and rings requires removing the heads and oil pan.

So those fluids were replaced.

Tester

When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? That should be done every 30,000 to 40,000 miles. Brake fluid picks up water, and should be changed every 4 years or so. They might be in your major maintenance list.

This has a power split planetary gearbox, instead of an auto trans. Change the fluid, yes, but I’d have a dealer or an independent shop that’s expert at Toyota hybrids do it.

Isn’t it a cvt ?

Both fluids changed at 90k. I’m at 126k now

1 Like

It is, but not like most CVTs that use two sets of variable cones and a metal belt. Instead, the variable action results from the interplay between the gas engine and two electric motor/generators, connected by the planetary power split gearbox. Google ‘Toyota hybrid synergy drive’ for more info.

It’s a major teardown. Besides rings they probably replaced the rod bearings. All fluids would need to be changed. Have to remove the oil pan and the head(s).

Thanks to all your input. I’m good to go.

Tony

| MikeInNH
January 13 |

• | - |

It’s a major teardown. Besides rings they probably replaced the rod bearings. All fluids would need to be changed. Have to remove the oil pan and the head(s).

i think those r coolant and oil u must change it for real

Do you speak/type in English.

1 Like

Back when I did warranty engine work in a new car dealership, we had to drain and save the fluids first, fix the engine, and then replace those same fluids at the end of the job. The manufacturer (Chrysler) would not pay for new fluids unless we could prove the existing fluids were contaminated.

I do not know if Toyota’s warranty policy is the same.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I was able to contact the dealership and they sent me the repair ‘invoice’. Not sure why they didn’t previously. It does state ‘refilled with new oil & coolant, topped off transaxle assembly’. It has been a while since then, and I do replace the oil regularly, but I think I’ll have all fluids replaced in the next visit.

Thank you to all your input. It’s been really valuable and I’ve learned a lot about my transmission too. My concerns have been answered.

Tony

| JoeMario
January 14 |

• | - |

Tony57:

Back in 2018, Toyota replaced the rings and pistons as part of a warranty issue. I wasn’t burning oil after 95000 miles then but they went ahead and did the work. I was told the rings for several years were not correct. Anyway, I never received a list of everything they replaced at the time. I was wondering if they had to replace the coolant or anything else in order to complete the job.

Back when I did warranty engine work in a new car dealership, we had to drain and save the fluids first, fix the engine, and then replace those same fluids at the end of the job. The manufacturer (Chrysler) would not pay for new fluids unless we could prove the existing fluids were contaminated.

I do not know if Toyota’s warranty policy is the same.

1 Like

It’s a dialect of English often associated with mobile devices.

Then you can translate this for us?

This dialect is meant to be used to gain status and express emotion and cannot communicate facts or other useful information without ambiguity.

So you must change the oil and coolant if you want to interpret it that way. Now like and subscribe and show how happy you are to be a follower and make the poster feel valued.