Towing Capacity of a RAV4 V6 2010 model

Hi,

I found that the towing capacity of a Toyota RAV4 V6 2010 Limited model is 3500 lb. Does this include the self weight of the vehicle? Will I be able to tow my other vehicle (Hyundai Accent, about 2400 lb weight) with this RAV4?

I have towing package installed and this is a FW drive RAV4.

Thanks,

There should be two towing numbers.

One is the towing weight…and the other is the Gross Vehicle Weight when towing.

The towing weight is the max it can tow. The Grow Vehicle weight when towing is the combined weight of the vehicle and the weight of the vehicle fully loaded. You shouldn’t exceed either limit.

The Gross vehicle towing limit will be a lot higher then the towing capacity.

Related question - are you (the OP) planning to flat tow the Hyundai? It might not work for that, you may need a dolly.

Hi,
I am not sure about how I should tow the Hyundai. Could you please advice what will be the best option for me?

Thanks,

I would not recomend you tow that much weight with a front drive RAV4, even with the 6 cyl. With a maximum tow capacity of 3500, your car plus the dolly would be too close for me to tow with w front drive only. I would have no problem for the AWD model as friends who have that model do well with it at near maximum but with AWD. The other problem is the tongue weight on fwd cars. With a dolly it’s not that much of a factor. In my opinion though, both cars would be much better off driven. Much safer too. You have the tail wagging the dog and fwd gives you very little correction margin of error if sudden maneuvering is required.

Thanks Daqosa, that was really helpful information.

I would not recomend you tow that much weight with a front drive RAV4, even with the 6 cyl. With a maximum tow capacity of 3500, your car plus the dolly would be too close for me to tow with w front drive only. I would have no problem for the AWD model as friends who have that model do well with it at near maximum but with AWD. The other problem is the tongue weight on fwd cars. With a dolly it’s not that much of a factor. In my opinion though, both cars would be much better off driven. Much safer too. You have the tail wagging the dog and fwd gives you very little correction margin of error if sudden maneuvering is required.

Couldn’t agree more.

The difference between “going” and “going where you want”.