Tow bar added to 2003 kia optima

i would like to add a tow bar to my 2003 kia optima. the hitch company said it can be done with a max tow weight of 2000 lbs. my husband state if i add this bar it will reduce the life of the car and ruin my trans. is this true? why do they make them for my car if i couldn’t have it?

The hitch company wants to sell hitches, plain and simple.
They do not have any financial liability if your transmission craps out as a result of towing too much weight, simply because it is the responsibility of the car’s owner to verify the towing capacity of the vehicle.

If you want to know the amount of weight that your car can safely tow, consult the Owner’s Manual.
While it is possible that you will find that it can tow 2,000 lbs, I doubt that this car is rated by the manufacturer for towing anything that heavy.

If you do decide to start towing with this car, you will need to have a transmission cooler installed by your mechanic if you want to avoid cooking the transmission. In any event, you need to open the glove compartment, take out the manual, and see what the car’s manufacturer has to say on this topic.

A tow bar can be added to any vehicle but that doesn’t mean the vehicle is ideal for towing.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the ability of the vehicle towing 2,000 lbs, I’d be more concerned about the vehicle being able to stop with 2,000 lbs in tow.

Tester