Topping off FL22 with Zerex Asian coolant

According the the label the green Asian one is G-HOAT, not HOAT

How often are you adding coolant? How much?

First time I’m adding (in few years). was ~0.5 inch under the L

To my knowledge FL22 specified by Mazda is green. The FL22 designation is an extended life formula. Mixing with enough non FL22 could reduce the life of the corrosion inhibitors. I satisfied myself that the Zerex Green wouldn’t do any harm to my Miata, but when I changed antifreeze I went to the trouble of finding the specified FL22. More important than the color is the formulation. Mix Dexcool with another formula and you could end up with black sludge.

The pink/red Peak Asian coolant is for Toyota/Lexus/Scion.

Just for others that may wander in here. What I do when I buy a car is either that day or shortly after, secure the necessary products for that car. So I’ll stop at the parts counter and get a gallon of the proper anti-freeze, a bottle of brake fluid, power steering fluid if used (salesman didn’t know it was electric), and a bottle of touch up paint that matches.

Sometimes it is never used, but I have it on hand if I need it. Yeah my dealer is 30 and 60 miles away.

There must be some, (even if it’s only slight), since the red says, Toyota, Lexus, Scion, and the blue says Hyundai, Nissan, Subaru, across the top.

That’s what I said…1.5 years ago.

1 Like