Topping off FL22 with Zerex Asian coolant

Hello,

I have a 2015 CX-5. I want to top off my FL22 Coolant (and don’t want to drive all the way to my dealership). Can I just top off using the Green Zerex Asian coolant? Do I need to drain liquids?
(https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/zerex-2766/chemicals---fluids-16461/antifreeze-16506/engine-coolant-antifreeze---vehicle-specific-13547/df3a6469dc0a/zerex-1-gallon-green-50-50-coolant-antifreeze/888418/6283973/)

I think that will be just fine.
All the Japanese and Korean brands spec a borate & silicate free P-HOAT formula.
That’s what Zerex Asian is.
Used it in my previous Toyota for 7 years with no problem.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s green? The Zerex Asian coolant I use is Pink. And it’s perfectly compatible with pretty much all Asian vehicles. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the OEM distributor.

Currently I have a green coolant in my car. Can I just add pink coolant? I’m almost sure it is green (They had blue, red and green Zerex bottles in the store)

Has you owned the car since new? If yes, have you had the coolant changed? If no, it sounds like the coolant might have been changed, who knows what’s in there now.

The question you should be asking is if the Green coolant in your car is good. I have no idea what you currently have. What is the coolant that Mazda CX-5 wants? If what you have is different, then drain and refill with what’s compatible. Usually that’s the Zerex Asian. In fact that’s the only company I found that makes an asian compatible fluid.

Here’s another question - how much do you need to add? If it’s significant, find the leak. If it’s small (less than a cup) you could get by just adding water, I’d think.

1 Like

The only only difference between those is the color of the dye.
My current Hyundai has green coolant and I topped it off with some red (pink) Zerex left over from my previous Toyota.

Hard to say. How can I find the leak? Now water under the car (even after parking for a few days).

According to store’s and Zerex’s websites it seems Zerex Asian is compatible with Mazda. Color is not critical (though FL22 is green so if I want to keep it green I can use the green Zerex for Asian cars)

Don’t go by color to identify fluids.

Isn’t Zerex Asian (green) compatible with FL22? That is what I understood from the ingredients and the people here?

Here are the “Asian” Zerex coolants, blue and red:

I know. Their site only shows blue and red, but I’ve also found a green one in stores: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/zerex-2766/chemicals---fluids-16461/antifreeze-16506/engine-coolant-antifreeze---vehicle-specific-13547/df3a6469dc0a/zerex-1-gallon-green-50-50-coolant-antifreeze/888418/6283973/

I guess it is the same coolant just different color to match what some cars use…

Well that’s confusing! edit - They’re all premixed, so that’s not the difference.

Green = OAT
Red/Blue = HOAT

So Nissan/etc. had different coolants for different years, I guess. I know Ford has used several over the last 20 years.

I do not understand why makers can’t agree on a single spec, not like they’re that different in how they work.

4 Likes

There are 2 greens now: Original Green and Green for Asian cars…I guess the latter is also HAOT

Check out Peak Global as an option. Can be used to top-off any color of automotive antifreeze including green, yellow, orange, fuchsia, blue and red

Base on item description i guess the new green Zerex is fl22 compatible and I can just top off using it : "Coolant/Antifreeze; 50/50 Mix; ZEREX Asian Vehicle Antifreeze/Coolant is specifically formulated to meet the requirements of Asian vehicle manufacturers (Toyota, Lexus, Scion and others) requiring a green, silicate free Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) with a phosphate additive. This patented formula is designed to replace the original fluid and provides protection from rust, corrosion, boil overs and freezing. > Formulated to replace the OEM fluid in Asian make vehicles such as Hyundai, KIA, Mazda, Mitsubishi and others requiring a green, silicate free HOAT antifreeze/coolant "