Tool advice to remove 2 bolts from Rack to remove and replace

TSM, must be dire straights to cut the end off a wrench! I can see it coming to that but just thought I’d mention in case you haven’t ever used the technique- You can string two (or even three) combination wrenches together to get more leverage without modifying them. Let’s see if I can describe it- you place the first combination box end over the fastener with the open end facing out. Then take any sized combination wrench and slip the box end over one “tang” of the open end such that the far end of the circle will leverage against the bar of the first wrench. The tang of the first wrench extends through the box end and presses against the bar of the second wrench. They lock together and you get leverage without destroying the wrench…maybe I can find a picture if it’s not clear…

I’ve busted a tang off that way. Cheap-ish wrenches, but even so… I don’t think leverage is the problem anyway. I think its access.

Tester

Never tried it. Sounds like a knuckle buster.
I don’t cut good wrenches often, but I have done so once or twice in the past. With the plethora of wrenches I have of all types, and a well-inventoried, automotive-oriented tool store just down the road, it’s a very rare situation that leaves me with no other option.

Limited clearance fasteners sometimes just requires a different tool. Like posted above, I’ve modified existing tools by bending them, cutting the handles to make them shorter, etc, that’s one way to get out of a jam. But that’s usually somewhat unsafe and not the best way. There’s a number of options. Inexpensive wrenches are often thicket than expensive ones, as the expensive ones are made stronger, so can be thinner. I’ve had success just buying a shorter or longer or flatter ratchet handle for example. There’s a tool that will adapt a combo wrench to fit a socket, so you can twist the socket with the wrench, I’ve used that successfully when the ratchet handle or is just too big, or there isn’t enough clearance for the ratchet to fit over the socket. . I forget what that thing is called, maybe someone here knows. It’s inexpensive and comes in quite handy. The one tool I’ve never used but been told is good to have on hand for this kind of situation is a crows-foot set. It’s sort of a handle-less wrench. You use a ratchet to drive it, but I suppose you could combine it with the aforementioned adapter and drive it with another wrench. Well, here’s a photo, you can see how it works from that.

Edit: Remembering another tool that comes in handy when the bolt is already loosened, but has to still be turned 5-10 rotations to extract it. Sometimes it can take 20 minutes of frustration to get it out using a wrench. This tool, it’s a small wheel you turn with your thumb or fingers that adapts to a socket.

I’m going to back up a little bit and go to the size wrench or socket that’s being used. Every last fastener on this car should be metric, and since it’s a Nissan I’m guessing the bolt or nut in question should be a 17mm and not 11/16". It may fit and feel snug but using the wrong size wrench can often lead to a rounded off nut or bolt and cause even more problems. The wrong size socket may also give you a little too much wiggle room and you’ve already got very little to spare.

I have crows feet, but in all honesty I’ve found ratcheting box-end wrenches to be much better.
I got the impression from the op’s wife that her hubby can get a wrench on the bolt, but there’s no room to turn the handle. Perhaps a ratcheting box end would do the trick.

There’s a tool that Tooltopia sells called a Double Box Ratcheting Flex Reversible Spline Wrench Set. Perhaps that’s what the OP needs. I’d post the link, but I’ve been insecure in my computer skills lately. the site is www.tooltopia.com.

and if it helps at all. Here is the link to the Guide I found on Autozone. Although they dont mention what tools for the specific vehicle, (which is what I need) there is a chart on what the rack and pin look like. Not sure if its of any use since I cant take a picture. lol. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f802c5385