Tom's "Principle Of Feigned Incompetence"

I have a clear memory of once hearing a Car Talk discussion about something called the “Principle of Feigned Incompetence”.

My memory is that Tom & Ray were discussing something Tom used to do to avoid having his wife ask him to do things he didn’t want to do, like laundry. He’d offer to do something and do it with great enthusiasm, but do it so poorly that his wife would never ask him to do it again. My memory is that this segment covered the important information that this only worked for him if he really appeared to be sincerely trying to do whatever it was. My memory is also that the segment ended with Tom’s wife calling in and busting him on the whole scheme.

I’ve mentioned this segment many times to people over the years as I remember finding it really funny, though somewhat questionable marital advice.

However, now that I’m googling around attempting to actually find a recording of it, I can’t find it anywhere.

Does anyone know what segment I’m talking about, and does anyone know if it’s on any of their CD’s or elsewhere online? I didn’t imagine this, did I?

1 Like

I do not recall that episode, but recall as an IT guy a few times saying to people sorry I cannot help you, like you fixed my computer and now my car won’t start.

1 Like

I’ve tried that with sewing, like can you show me how to run that machine? Doesn’t always work though. I’ve got a feeling it is used on me more. Like painting, washing the car, etc.

1 Like

I remember the discussion but so many of those moments are hard to find unless they’ve titled the show that way, have had similar discussions and most of the married women have said that doesn’t work, practice makes perfect in other words. But then after almost 53yrs of marriage my parents have figured out a division of labor that works.

1 Like

My sister did show me how to use sewing machine.

1 Like

Well I can fix it but not much good at using it.