To pay or not to pay on my Dodge Intrepid

I have a 2004 Dodge Intrepid and it has steering problems. It was only $6,000 when I got it and when I took it to Dodge they said it would take $2,000 to repair the steering (it was sticking). Unfortunately, that’s more than I’m willing to pay. So what should I do? Is selling it and getting another car an option?

You say you took it to ‘Dodge’ ? If this means the dealer then your next move should be to an indy shop who’ll use aftermarket parts. Probably cut the price in half…ish.

Selling the car with a known malfunction is possible but subtracting that repair from asking price might not yield the dollars you’d like.

Personally , I’d try an indy shop next and keep the car.

That’s a great idea, and yeah i meant the Dodge Dealership. What’s the best way to find a legitimate autoparts place?

You can find recommended mechanics in your area at the “Mechanics Files” section of the CarTalk homepage.

You can use the Mechanic Finder on this web-site…The Best way is to ask friends, family or people you work with.

Yes selling it and getting another car is an option. However do not sell it to anyone personally with divulging this serious flaw. Trading it in is another way of getting rid of it and then simply let them evaluate it.

I would try an indy as used parts may make more sense given the high cost you post. I assume their is an expensive part new involved.

If the steering is “sticking” I guess that means you lose the ability to steer while the car is moving? That is a safety problem and the car should not be driven until it is fixed. It sounds like you need a new steering rack. If you decide to sell this car, you have an ethical responsibility to tell prospective buyers about this problem.

How many miles are on this car? In my opinion, that would make a difference. If it has low mileage (less than 100,000 miles), a replacement rack can be expected to fail within the next 100,000 miles. If the original rack has more than 150,000 miles on it, the next one should last just as long, and in my opinion, it would be worth it if the rest of the car is in good condition.