To change or not to change the battery?

I would like to know if anybody has had the following experience: a friend said that 2 of 4 wires were corrected to wires they should not have been. He changed them, connecting them “correctly.” I don’t remember how long it took, but after he did that, the battery died and could not be charged. I bought a new battery. Two days later, it was dead and would hold a charge for only around 2 hours, after which it could not start the engine. I have a new battery sitting here that I will not put in because it would be junk in 2 days. Anybody hear of anything like this?

Turning off your car at 55 mph

@Snagglepuss I moved this to a new thread. You might want to supply a bit more info so others might try to help you.

I assume you mean “connected” not “corrected”?

Don’t let this friend work on your car again. Un-do what your friend did, and charge your old battery and it should be fine.

A dead car battery is not like a flashlight battery. Car batteries are meant to be recharged.

Your friend’s creative wiring may have damaged the alternator or simply disconnected it. What is the year, make, model, and engine of your car?

Without knowing what these wires are, there’s very little we can do to help. Can you attach a picture, perhaps?

I can only echo what Mustangman said…never let this “friend” near any of your vehicles. Never.

This friend is not a neuro surgeon I hope. Put it back again.

In addition to the other valid replies, I have to wonder whether the OP’s “friend” (???) is merely incompetent, or if this was actually an attempt to sabotage the OP’s car.
:thinking:

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence…

Getting wires crossed in cars like that can often blow an alternator diode. That’s my guess. Check all the fuses of course first, including the fusible links. Another idea , install the new battery but do a phantom current measurement immediately.