To change or not to change the battery?

You can spout out whatever numbers you want, George

But I’ll disagree with you, if I feel you’re giving advice which I feel is inaccurate and/or misleading

:tomato:

:wink:

Exactly the purpose of an opinion forum @db4690 , no complaints. It adds to the value for the folks seeking guidance with their car problems here when both the driveway diy’er (like me) and pro auto mechanic (like you) offer up their perspectives.

Even though 100 mA would probably indicate a phantom current draw problem in OP’s 98 Stratus as both db and @Nevada_545 points out above, that wouldn’t explain the need for the OP to repeatedly replace the battery. The battery wouldn’t be damaged beyond repair with a 100 mA phantom drain; but it could discharge the battery to the point it wouldn’t crank the engine if the car wasn’t used for several days in a row. Recharging the battery would be all that would be needed to return the battery to full health. If the phantom drain was 1000 mA + however, that might not be the case. The battery could well be destroyed with a high enough phantom current drain for an extended period.

If you want to offer questionable advice, why don’t you just advise somebody to perform a parasitic draw test with an incandescent bulb . . . ?!

:smirk:

I hope you know I’m just messing with you

I don’t think you would give THAT kind of advice :thinking:

Many batteries are replaced that could be recharged. The OP stated that the battery went dead after 2 hours, this suggests that there is a charging system problem but the OP has not provided any useful information to be able to offer any help.
While most people can’t identify and name specific vehicle wiring, a picture of the modified wiring would help.

This is what the OP said in the first post of the thread.

“the battery died and could not be charged. I bought a new battery. Two days later, it was dead and would hold a charge for only around 2 hours, after which it could not start the engine.”

IMO the key measurement is the phantom (everything off) current drain on the battery. Is it closer to 100 mA? Or is it closer to 1000 mA? Until that info is available, hard to make much progress.

What was the question? Oh yeah, a friend moved two wires and the battery was shot. Do I need a new battery? Yeah. Is there other damage? Most likely yeah. It would be nice to know which two wires.