Tires

Does anyon ehave reviews of the goodyear weatherhandler fuel max tire? I need new tires for my 04 CRV and this is what Sears is suggesting. Good or bad? Anything better?

www.tirerack.com and
www.1010tires.com
both have good consumer feedback sections. I recomend a visit.

Here’s my take on the fuel saver tires.

These are an all-season tread design. This means they have good traction/control in dry/wet conditions. And can save fuel. But if you live where it snows the performance of the tread design drops off where there’s poor traction. This poor traction in snow causes the tires to spin. And if you’re spinning the tires but going nowhere, where’s the fuel savings?

Tester

Check out Consumer Reports for tire reviews.

Sears is recommending whatever they can make the most profit on.

Bingo!
A colleague of mine had a Honda Insight with ultra low rolling resistance tires (the old name for fuel-saver tires). Although she did get very good gas mileage when she was not spending her time hugging trees, she soon found out that these tires had essentially NO traction in snowy conditions.

In the design of a tire, there are many trade-offs. If you want to get very low rolling resistance, you will have to accept the reality that you will have much less traction in certain conditions–and that is a potential safety issue. That leads me to ask–If you wind up stranded, or if you have an accident as a result of poor traction, have you really saved money in the long run?

I don’t find that name on the Goodyear web site.
It must be a Sears unique Goodyear, hence their suggestion for it.

As with ALL tire stores, the first option is ALWAYS something from inventory.
“You want tires today ? We have these.”

I’ll keep looking for the tread type to offer an opinion. Perhaps direct to the Sears website.

Once they have been on your car for a week or two, all tires suddenly become pretty much the same…

I had good service from TR when I got new rims/tires for my Civic a couple years ago. They can ship to your home, or to one of their dealers and they will mount/balance your new tires when they come in

I’ll join the chorus of people who do not like fuel-saver / low-rolling-resistance tires. They achieve low rolling resistance by lowering the friction between the tire and the road. Considering the whole point of a tire is to provide friction for the car to get traction, lowering it seems stupid to me. I’m all for saving gas when you can, but not at the expense of vehicle safety.

All “All season” tires are jack of all trades and masters of none. I’ve been putting winter tires on both of my vehicles for the last few years.

I don’t really care much for any Goodyear tire. I have bought some tires from Sears, though, and can tell you I have been satisfied with what I bought. Different retailers are certainly an option, I just mention these tires because I know Sears carries them. I have one set of Sumitomo HTR T4’s on a 1996 Taurus that have done well in all weather conditions, including snow. I have been particularly happy with my set of BFGoodrich Revelation Touring tires. I have had them on my 1990 Buick Skylark for the last 5 1/2 years and 50,000 miles, and they have been flawless. They look like they can go another 20,000-30,000 miles easily and still drive like brand new to this day. As another bonus, this is one of their least expensive tires. Sears is suggesting the Goodyears because they are one of their pricier, “top of the line” tires. Personally, I wouldn’t trade off good traction in rain and snow for what little increase in fuel economy a different tire design can give.