Tires worn on the inside & 30,000 mile maintenace

My husband & I began to hear “thumping” on the front tires a little while ago. Today he inspected all the tires & found out that they are BALD on the inside only! We did go online to see if anyone else has had this problem and found one complaint by which this person was told by a MAZDA district manager “the car has 30,000 miles on it…you’re lucky to get that kind of mileage from those tires…just get new ones”. HUH?? Has anyone else heard of this problem and is this the right answer? Also, about the previous post & the 30,000 mile maintenance…there is NOTHING listed in the owner’s manual about what is needed or what has to be done. We also have gone online to check and have read from other people that they have paid anywhere from $250.00 to $800.00 !! I did call the dealership to ask them what is done(which they will fax the complete list to me) but the service dept did tell me it would cost $680.00. What really should be done at the 30,000 mile maintenance?

In your case, I would put a wheel alignment at the top of the list…Consumers need to realize AWD / 4wd vehicles require considerably more maintenance than their 2wd counterparts. If your owners manual does not list the maintenance required (ignorance is bliss and expensive too!) there will be a “service guide” available that DOES spell out the recommended maintenance.

Most car manuafacturers, including Mazda, recommend rotating the tires every 8000 miles or so. As well with each oil change, 6000 miles or so, the tires are to be inspected. Any uneven wear indicated that the front wheels are not properly aligned. If that is the case, even the best tires would wear unevenly.

If your car was regularly serviced by Mazda they should have been able to indicate when this wear started. If someone else serviced the car, they should have told you this was happening. If you servied the car your self, you should have been able to spot this abnormal wear.

Having said all this, 30,000 miles on original tires is not abnormal. But you should get more.

Before you do anything, have the suspension checked by a competent shop.

We have always taken our Mazda to the dealership & have gone by the owner’s manual as far as oil changes, rotating of tires, etc. My husband doesn’t remember the dealership indicating any wear on the tires but I will check all of our previous receipts. When we do take it in for the 30,000 mile maintenance (which we be sometime this week) my husband will let them know about checking the wheel alignment and the suspension. thanks

You have an alignment problem and with 30K miles, there’s plenty of time for things to happened to cause the alignment to go off.

You have to help us (unless you just want to vent)
Is your question about the tire wear (what has been done to minimize wear in the past)?
Is your question about what is included in a Mazda 30K?
Is your question about what is a fair price for a 30K?
Are you asking if the Dealer has some liability for not noticing your tire wear?