Tires too tall?

About 6 months ago we took my daughters '03 Volvo S60 to a national chain and purchased new tires for her. They installed 205/65/R15 tires. Since that time, I have noticed that her tires seem low an awful lot of the time and one of us (usually me) has to inflate them. A month ago she went on a trip and one of the tires blew. She took it to the chain and had it replaced with the same tire. Last week she told me that she was driving to Nashville, and I asked her to go to the local TD and have the tires checked before driving it for 6 hours each way. They said that they found a small hole and patched it, but other than that the tires were OK. On the way home from Nashville, another one of the tires blew! No TD was close so the tow truck took her to a local shop. They told her that TD had installed the wrong tires, and installed one (1) 195/65/R15 to replace the blown tire. Now that I have done a little research, I see that the last gentlemen seems to be correct. OEM is 195/65/R15. But here is my question: would that tire size difference in any way explain the problems that she has been having? Obviously, something is not right, but I cannot figure out what it might beā€¦ Now Iā€™m either going to have to change 3 tires that are marginally taller (about .5 inch, I think), or one tire. Which tire shop should I be angry with? Thoughts?
Thanks!

Well this is not part of your question but it sounds like your daughter does not know how to check the tires for tire pressure. The tires were not going flat because of the size .I donā€™t know who TD is but do talk to them .

I check my tires on the first and 15th each month . Get her a good tire gauge and show her how to use it . I think the tire problems might be related to low tire pressure . That also brings up does she know how to check fluids ?

1 Like

Yes, I agree, but with tires that new, I wouldnā€™t think that you should NEED to check them that often. At first I was aggravated with her, and was convinced that she was doing something to cause the issue. But when she takes it into Tire Discounters and then the tire blows less than 48 hours laterā€¦ Something is not right. The sidewalls are not beaten up, so it isnā€™t that either. And yes, one of my first gifts to her was the pressure gauge. As for the fluidsā€¦ one battle at a time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe not , but why take the chance . Plus it just a good habit to have .

See if the place will prorate the tires and get a different brand on all four wheels .

Look in the door jam area that you can see after opening the driverā€™s door. There should be sticker there with the recommended tire sizes. If the sticker it indeed there and the shop installed a different tire size than on that sticker, Iā€™d say you have a valid complaint with the tire shop. After all, theyā€™re the ones in the tire business and all they had to do was look at the sticker. It seems unlikely that this tire size difference would result in low tire pressure unless the tires are hitting on something as you drive. Probably thereā€™s a leak caused by an improper tire mounting procedure. When replacing a tire the shop is supposed to wire brush the bead area to remove all corrosion, and apply a special bead lube and sealant product there. You should check to see if the tire is moving around on the rim. Make a mark w/a crayon across the tire and the rim. It should always remain aligned. If you notice one day it isnā€™t, the tire is moving w/respect to the rim. Shouldnā€™t happen with a proper tire mounting procedure.

Never count on anyone else, no matter how ā€˜professionalā€™, to do the right thing, if you can check yourself. (You canā€™t check to make sure the surgeon really removed your appendix.) Before you paid, you signed a contract that specified the tires they were going to install. Before you left for the tire store you could have figured out the correct size. People get things wrong. Trust but verify some famous-person said.

The tire store may not have had the correct tire size in the brand that was selected in stock at the time, inappropriate to install without disclosing to the customer but not a serious crime. Each of my cars have a tire or wheel that is larger than stock and that was my choice, they are not more susceptible to punctures or damage.

When the tire failed the driver should have insisted on a matching tire, there isnā€™t a significant benefit in returning to the stock tire size.

No, the tire size thing is not the cause of the problems that were encountered.

It is likely the wheels are a bit corroded and that is causing the air loss.

Also, punctures are random events and statistics say that there is some poor guy here in the US that is going to get 4 punctures this year. (actually, the number is closer to a thousand!)

And the blown tire? That could be a road hazard (would need to inspect the tire to be sure) But, again, the statistics say that is well within what is probable.

So if anything, the first tire shop is at fault for installing a non-standard tire size and not prepping the wheels so they donā€™t leak. You might be able to blame the blown tire on the first shop, but that blown tire would need to be examined.

also of note is that the OP does not think new tires need to be checked for pressure . A simple web search has many articles that recommend checking the pressure at least once a month.

Never once did you say what BRAND of tires. People tend to buy the cheapest tires the store has to offer. Cheap tires are NO bargain!

If you bought Westlake RP18ā€™s for $48 a tire instead of, say, the Cooper Evolution Tour for $109, I am not surprised she had problems.

1 Like

you checked them and they were low. you added air. i would say having to add air on newer tires points to an issue. you cant make your kid check the air pressure if they dont want too.

Hello being new I get to necro one post right lol. I just read this and thought I could add some info.

From what I am reading you didnā€™t get taller tires you got wider tires. The first number in the tire size denotes the width, the second is the height ( the size from the rim to the tread, the ā€œsidewallā€) and the last is the rim size.

Running different size tires should not have an effect on the tire pressure, because the car is an 03 I would check the valve stems, see if they are cracked or if they have never been replaced the valve inside the stem might be leaking.

Really having slightly wider tread on a couple or just one tire should be no issue at all. The problem with having different tire heights on a car comes into play on how they affect the drive train when they are mounted on the axles that drive the car. Different tire sizes in this case causes stress on your axles and transmission because each tire will rotate the wheel hub at a different rate. Even just changing one tire with a new tire and leaving a used one on the other side can cause this. So you dont want to change one tire from a 65 series tire to a 70 and atleast change your tires in pairs if you dont replace all 4. Sometimes people do this because the dont rotate their tires and wear two out much more quickly then the other two, which is ok to do. Hope this helps

This is incorrect. The second number is the aspect ratio, height divided by width. So the did get taller tires.

yes. aspect ratio is percentage of widthxheight.
195/65 tire is 25" tall
205/65 tire is 25.5" tall
the 205 tire is wider and taller than a 195
a 16yr old wheel can easily leak at bead.
a crappy new tire at correct pressure will probaby not blow out

Yes after further research I see you are correct, the width of the tire would change the height with both tires being 65ā€™s. Funny thing is I knew that number was the aspect ratio but I guess over the years that little peice just slipped away thanks for the correction :grinning:

Incorrect. The tires are both wider and taller. That 65 number is the height, yes, but it is a multiplier. The height of the tire from the rim is 65% times the width. The total diameter of the tire is:

2 x (205 x 0.65) + (15*25.4) = 648 mm diameter for the replacement tire

2 x (195 x 0.65) + (15*25.4) = 635 mm, for the original or 13 mm shorter (3.6%) than the replacement

yes, another way to say the same thing.

LoL , the best of us are wrong from time to time. As long as you can see the mistake you learn.

2 Likes