Tire Tread Depth

I recently bought a Hyundai Sonata. The first day it rained I noticed the front wheels spinning and not getting traction. I stopped at the Firestone store and they told me that I needed all new tires. So I went to the local mechanic and he said they would just barely pass PA vehicle inspection because they are 4/32. I called the dealer who sold me the car and they said they only replace the tires on used cars if the tread depth is under 4/32.

Actually, 2/32 is the depth at which the ‘wear bars’ become visible, so having 4/32 would eliminate any obligation on the dealer’s part to replace the tires. For better traction 4/32 is a good minimum tread, though.

Other reasons the tire might skid: Was this the first rain in a while? oil buildup on the roads make them slick. Are your tire overinflated? Too much pressure reduces traction. Are your tires old? Old tires harden and have poor traction. Finally, the particular tire model might just not have good wet traction.

4/32" wet traction is compromised. How much depends on the tire design. Yours may be worse than its peers.

If any winter weather(ice/snow) is going happen get them changed out. Call around for best price to chains, independent tires shops and warehouse clubs.

I went to the local mechanic and he said they would just barely pass PA vehicle inspection because they are 4/32. I called the dealer who sold me the car and they said they only replace the tires on used cars if the tread depth is under 4/32

In other words they are telling you that they only replace tires on vehicles that don’t pass inspection. One of the first things I check is the tires on a used vehicle…If the tires just passing inspection…I have them replaced or negotiate an extra few hundred out of the price.

My mistake for not checking. Hopefully Carsense in Uwchland, PA will treat me okay on this. If not, they have a five day, no questions asked, return policy.