Tire Sizing for snows

I have a 2013 Buick Enclave I want to put snow tires on. The current size tires are 255/65/18 and the rim width is 7.5". I am looking at a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs this guy is selling cheap with good tread. They are 265/65/18 though which ends up 0.5" taller and 0.4" wider. I currently have around 1.5" clearance from top of my wheels to strut and about an inch from back sidewall to strut. The wheel well seems to have over 1.5" in all directions.

Do you think I’ll have enough clearance if I mount these suckers?

Probably. My experience is that the domestic vehicle manufacturers (GM, Ford, and Chrysler) always include clearance for chains - and provided the tire manufacturer follows the tire sizing standard (They are not required to do so!), there should be at least enough clearance to go up 2 sizes.

Half an inch in diameter equals 1/4" in radius, which is the pertinent dimension.

You usually want a NARROWER tire for snow. Not wider. The difference between 265 and 255 may not be enough to make a difference though.

1 Like

found 2 sets near me. 200/set 6x120 bolt pattern? gm has odd BP’s on their suvs. our equinox is 5x120. cheap tires is usually offset by not free mounting/balancing. now and next spring.00303_gNrQCe0uxoe_600x450