Tire size

What is the widest size Touring Tire i can put on a 2000 Buick Park Ave without coming in contact with the car body ? Will the ride & handling improve,remain the same or be worse with the wider tire ?

Look at discount tire direct for sizing on factory rims or upsizing wheel/tire.

The most important thing about a tire is not width but construction and type of tire. Research on tirerack.com

Unless you want to change wheel size, stick to the stock size. You can get better quality tires to improve the handling. Tirerack.com also has a good tire choice guide, lots of reviews (both by users and by the company).

The “Show Boat” super wide tires all require custom wheels in 19, 20, 21 inch sizes. Then you mount super low profile tires on them, the middle number being 50, 45, 40, 35, 30 as the tires get wider and wider…But it’s still a 2000 Buick Park Ave and the extra wide tires will make it ride like a forklift. When you hit a pot-hole, those 21" wheels and tires just explode, BANG! That will be $600…Ka-Ching…

Thanks for the response. I was only thinking of increasing from a 225 to a 235.

Thanks, extra wide was never consideration, but it would make a nice looking forklift.

Keeping the same 16 rim, in tire size theory one would increase the section width and decrease the aspect ratio to retain diameter.

The 00 Park avenue should have on it now p225/60r16 and, in theory, a 235/55r16 would retain o.d.
This is not proving out in my books. Your 225/60 shows to be 26.6" o.d. yet the 235/55 shows only 26.1" o.d. while a 235/60 is 27.1" o.d.
You’re already at the lowest aspect ratio (60)to keep an acceptable ride quality. the 50 ratios and lower have harder sidewalls and the sizing options are not there compared to the original.

In other words, a veritable pain in the butt to try that.

Accross the spectrum of brands and types you can find tires with the same size numbers on them that have a wider tread width measurement than others. This is where tire shopping in person and not online will work to your advantage. Take your tape measure and find the widest road contact width within size.

Stick with the 225/60r16 and shop for tire TYPE.