Tire sidewall cut fails inspection, needs replacement?

It is a state required inspection. That is why I have to fix it shortly. I cannot go to other inspection station for a re-inspection, because I have got a “Reject” sticker to my windshield. And the other inspector would ask why it is rejected previously. So I am stuck to fix this issue.

I did not regularly park at a fixed location. So it is possible I hit a curb at a relatively high speed previously.

Yes, I can go to a different place for inspection, but they would ask why I got a “Reject” sticker on the windshield. And I have to tell the true. Not sure if they would overrule the former inspector’s decision.

Put one of these bubble mirrors on the outer end of the passenger side mirror.
Then you can see your tire approach the curb.

https://www.amazon.com/Dependable-Direct-Frameless-Blind-Mirror/dp/B07BTC5V9Q

1 Like

Don’t know until you try. BTW, a single curb strike to a sharp edge curb could do this damage to both tires at the same time. Not necessarily a high speed hit. In fact, even a high speed hit to a normally rounded curb would NOT do this.

Edit: You could have also done this damage in a pot hole or by a sharp rock or piece of broken concrete. I had this happen by a piece of broken concrete, unfortunately for me it cut all the way to the cord, on a Subaru. Had to buy 4 new tires.

The annual state inspection probably costs $50 or more, and the OP needs to decide whether the chance of passing a second inspection is worth the expense. It might be it’s just another add-on with the two new tires.

He could go back to the original dealer and ask them to show him in writing how the tires need to be replaced. If it says “showing cord” or words to that effect and his tires are not showing cord, they have to pass the vehicle.

If they were my tires I would replace them.

1 Like

Please let us know what happens. Also, we need to know what state.

Here in Virginia, I know the tires would fail, but it would be because of a judgement call on the part of the inspector. The inspector does not want to be placed in the position of having passed the vehicle and later an accident occurs and the tires are cited as a contributing cause.

They do not want it on their record nor on their conscience. Think of the bartender who cuts off a customer because the bartender makes a judgment call and says the customer has had too much to drink. The bartender did not administer a breathalyzer test nor perform a blood test. It’s judgement call and it would stand up in court.

However, again here in Virginia, the rules are specifically spelled out in the Administrative Code (the Law…), and Rule 11 is the only one that addresses sidewalls and it does not apply. Below is the link to VA’s Tire Rules…

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section500/

I suggest that if you want to challenge it, get a copy of your state’s Administrative Code concerning State Inspections, review it, and if it does not specifically state that the problems with your tires are grounds for failure, and the inspector still will not pass you, contact the manager. Also, contact the State Police, Most states put the power of Inspection Enforcement in the hands of the State Police.

As a former New York State Inspector, I would fail you and no way am I going to pass you no matter what the rules say. As I said, it’s all a judgement call…

Drive Safe and quit cutting corners…

1 Like

Hello,

I am in Massachusetts and the inspection fee is $35.

I ended up buying two tires in Costco and have scheduled an appointment to install them. The cost is around $520, which is less than what the dealership asked for.

3 Likes

The inspection standards are vague and outdated. The rim protector on the sidewall of modern tires is sacrificial and does not affect the structural integrity of the tire.

Many of my customers have a tire and wheel insurance plan, the tire in the third picture would not qualify for replacement. With the shadow in the first two pictures, it is difficult to view cord damage.

Replacing good tires for profit results in more environmental waste.

Cheaper? Used tires and tires removed from new cars when the buyer wants something else. A reputable tire dealer may have these, but won’t offer them unless you ask.