Tire Selection

My current tire is a P205/60R16 91H. What are some recommendations for replacements?

If you plan on using the same wheels, then get the same size tires.

If you are referring to specific brands and models of tires, you need to make those decisions yourself, rather than relying on random suggestions from strangers with varying agendas. If you go to www.tirerack.com you can read both comparative test results and consumer reviews of every tire that is available for your car.

After taking into consideration which factors are most important to you (soft ride, excellent handling, long tread life, good winter traction, low level of road noise, good fuel economy–pick one or two–you can’t have them all), then you can make an informed decision regarding which tires would be best for your needs.

http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp?s_kwcid=TC|21263|tire%20rack||S||6299409373& is a website that sells mail-order tires…They carry more brands and types of tires than any retailer can…You can use the site to see what’s available in the market and get an idea of the price points of the various brands…

Today, tires are divided into types: Winter, all-season, touring, high-performance…Of course there are cross-overs as shelf-space permits…

Your present tires carry an “H” speed rating…135 MPH sustained speed…If you don’t venture into these velocities, you can drop to a “T” or an “S” speed rating and find many more choices at less cost…others may be aghast at this suggestion but I just thought I’d mention it…Tires also have a tread-wear rating…The minimum acceptable is around 400…A better number is 500 and “premium” tires can reach into 600 or more…This number is supposed to predict how long a tire will last…You will find that the price and the tread-wear number are connected…

In the end, you will probably go to a local tire dealer and buy whatever they have in stock at the moment…But at least you will have a little more knowledge about what’s going on…

tirerack has ratings etc.

Some shops will flat out refuse to put tires of a lesser-than-stock speed rating on a car. Sometimes cars that you wouldn’t think of as particularly sporty (like the Avalon) have H or V rated tires on because they tend to deal with heat build up better, a car that might not be able to reach sustained speeds of 150 MPH will still have high performance tires on them because they are physically heavy cars that need tires that dissipate heat better than lesser tires.

400 being the minimum? I had a an argument with myself on getting tires that had a 340 treadwear rating. Tires with good treadwear ratings like 500+ tend to sacrifice handling. I wouldn’t consider such hard tires, I want my tires to stick to road like glue. The Pontzena RE-760’s I have on my car now have treadwear rating of 340, they are noticeably less sticky then BFG GForce KDW’s the replaced which had a treadwear rating of about 240 IIRC.

It boils down to proper car care. It’s never good policy to second guess the engineers who decided what tires should go on your car. The engineers speced H rated tires for a reason. With all the bean counting that goes on, you’d think that if they could’ve gotten away with S or T rated tires they probably would have.

Your question is a little vague. Are you looking for a size, brand speed rating ???

I suspect your best answer will be found by going to tirerack.com You can get a lot of good information there. I might also suggest they are a good source of tyres as well. I have ordered tyres on the rims (when I wanted new rims for my winter tyres.) delivered to my garage and I have ordered tyres delivered to my local tyre store who then installed them. Both cases resulted in a good result.