Tire repair

I am another one who has used many plugs and never has an issue, although I will admit that the best solution is probably a plug-N-Patch type patch.

I actually just plugged a nail hole on my prius last week, I have probably plugged more than 100 tires and never had a failure, granted only 15 to 20 of those were automobile tires, many were atv and lawnmower tires.

I too have plugged many a tire with no problems. I just replaced the plugs that I keep in the truck.

I only had one bad one years ago, but that was because the hole was too big for a plug… I doubled up and put in two plugs in one swipe and I was able to at least get the truck somewhere to get a new tire. Lucky for me I was within 200 feet of a station with a good air compressor and I was only 10 miles from my tire guy.

Yosemite

Dont hold it against the tire chain, lawsuits have resulted in many companies setting policies to cover their butts from litigation. I have used plugs for years and never had an issue. Its a sad fact of business in the repair industry that fear of litigation determines how shops operate.

I agree, Steve. Tort law is in serious need of reform.

There’s a huge difference between John Doe sticking a plug in a tire on his family sedan and the John Doe Tire Shop doing the same in their shop for a customer.

How many times has tort reform at both the state and Federal levels been done? Countless times and what’s the end result? Nothing; it’s more of the same old due to the big money trial lawyers association who want things to be litigious and for laws to always have gray areas.

Tort Tort Reform à la Walker/ALEC: Days to Pass but Years in the Making
Walker’s first executive order on January 3rd, specified several legal changes as his top priorities for his soon-to-be introduced “omnibus” tort bill that echoed ALEC models:

Limiting damages for pain and suffering – beyond lost wages or out-of-pocket expenses – that can be awarded when elderly nursing home patients die from neglect, even though older Wisconsinites cannot easily show economic damages such as lost income (extending ideas in ALEC’s “Non-Economic Damages Act”)
Limiting the liability of companies that make products with common ingredients where the brand may be difficult to ascertain over time – as with brain damage-causing lead paint – by preventing courts from relying on “risk-contribution” (see ALEC’s “Product Liability Act”)
Limiting punitive damages when a jury finds intentional corporate misconduct or gross negligence (similar to ALEC’s “Punitive Damages Act”)
Limiting who can testify as an expert in ways preferred by corporate defendants (similar to ALEC’s “Expert Testimony Standards Act”)
Law got reformed in WI al Walker, good for business bad for people in my humble opinion.

I just wanted to comment about plug repairs.

First, I’m the guy who balances out all those folks who claim to have no problems with plugs. I’ve had a 50% failure rate. - and, NO! it’s not because I don’t know how to do it. It’s because of the nature of statistics.

Second, it’s possible there was more to the story than we got from bossgt. It’s possible that there was other damage - like the sidewall was abraded. That would explain the comment that the tire was ruined and why the tire shop wouldn’t repair it…

@oldtimer11,

We have become a nation of lawsuit adverse wimps!

And company’s should be scared of lawsuits, as we have become a nation of lawsuit crazed asses. As seen by the proliferation of “ambulance chaser” lawyers. Just look at some of the lawsuits that have actually made it to court. Even if they are thrown out the companies would be out probably a good deal of money just preparing a defense against frivolous B.S. Here is some I found just now:

http://www.businessinsurance.org/10-ridiculously-frivolous-lawsuits-against-big-businesses/

I realize some of these may repeat each other but you get the idea. That’s doesn’t even take into account the ones that never make the news. Like the guy in my development that tried to sue the HOA for not maintaining property that is owned by the county.

Just to clarify…there is no damage to the tire whatsoever other than having a 1/2 inch nail in the meaty part of the tire and not in the sidewall.The tire was still holding air until I pulled the nail out.The tire has only 27000 miles on it.All I wanted to do was patch it from the inside and was told I ruined it by plugging it myself.

Just to reiterate, it’s a liability issue, they just don’t want any liability. If the plug you put in is holding I would just let it be and keep an eye on that tire. Costco refused to plug/patch a tire of mine about 2 weeks ago saying damaged too far to repair. I put a rope plug in and don’t feel the least bit anxious about it, but will keep a close eye on the pressure.

@‌bossgt1982

The shop is just covering their rear end . . . nothing more and nothing less

I turn wrenches for a living (fleet mechanic) and I personally do not install plugs . . . not unless my boss specifically orders me to do so

In any case, if a vehicle operator comes in, complaining that his tire won’t hold air, I’ll closely inspect the tire. If there’s a nail smack in the middle of the tread, nowhere near the sidewall, I’ll naturally install a patch.

If there is one of those rope plugs . . the ones installed from the outside . . . I’ll remove it, and install a proper patch from the inside

Not once has this come back to bite me in the rear end. Not once had the plug installation itself caused any damage. Removing the plug also didn’t cause any damage

I’m in southern California, so we get some pretty good heat. Not once has one of my patches fell off

Take your tire somewhere else for a proper patch to be installed, instead of that plug. Those rope plugs you install from the outside are meant to be temporary, enough for you to get to a tire shop for a proper repair, as the others have said

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen many rope plug installations that didn’t work very well, over time

@db4690‌, do you plug from the inside and then patch? If you plug, what do you use? From your post, it appears that it is not a rope plug.

Probably something similar to this:

@jtsanders‌

No . . I do not plug, because I don’t like plugs

I remove those junky plugs that are installed from the outside, and install a patch

First remove the offending object . . . in this case, the bolt, nail, or perhaps the leaking plug
Rough up the area next to the hole
Put that tire cement or what ever it’s called, and let it get tacky
Put the patch on, and stitch it with that roller type tool
Then reinstall the tire on the rim, seat it, air it up, balance, etc.

I’m not sure if I’ve answered your question

Perhaps you’re talking about those type of patches that have that “stud” that you pull through?

You answered my question. I just wanted to know how you repaired a punctured tire and you answered it. I wondered if you put anything in the puncture, and you do not.