Tire problems with 2012 Honda Civic

We have a new 2012 Honda Civic with Firestone Affinity tires. My daughter had a flat tire (rear passenger’s side) a couple weeks ago, that seemed to result from hitting something in a construction zone. There was no apparent leak, but the dealer said the sidewall was damaged and we needed a new tire. OK, accidents happen. Today, she was leaving work and the TPMS went off. Flat tire on the other side (rear driver’s side). No apparent damage again.
The first incident was plausible, twice in three weeks seems unusual. Has anyone had a similar experience? I am wondering if there is a defect in either the tires or the wheels that is leading to these flats. I would understand the problem occurring with the front tires, since they take the hit when going over potholes. If this is a Honda or Firestone problem, I would like to hear from anyone else that has had this issue.

Whatever she hit in the construction zone apparently impacted both rear tires. In addition to replacing the tires, I’d suggest having the wheels checked for damage and having a 4-wheel alignment done. She must have whacked something good.

Objects getting stuck in rear tires is pretty common. According to what I learned in driver’s education 23 years ago, when the car is turning around a corner or through a curve, the front and rear wheels don’t follow the same paths. The last time I needed a tire repair, the service writer said, “Let me guess, right rear tire?” and he was correct.

The tires that come with new cars are usually cheap crap, and the Dunlop tires that came on my 1998 Civic were crap. They all, one at a time, experienced tread separation at around 30,000 miles.

If you are involved in your daughter’s tire issues, I am guessing she is a teenager. Is that correct? Young inexperienced drivers are hard on car tires, and they aren’t likely to confess about the crazy things they do with a car.

I don’t think this is a defective tire. Sometimes it is just a run of bad luck. This is why most tire dealers offer “tire protection” plans that are expensive and I reject. I just take my chances but sometimes you lose.

I’d say it was coincidence. Just bad luck. One flat tire might follow another, or they may be many years apart.

I could be wrong. You can report these incidents to the NHTSA if you wish. Who knows where this might lead.